Started by Bill Cahill, April 17, 2009, 05:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

my gandma had a 59 impala waggon it was green
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

AET

I like the 59's but not as much as the 60's, I like the individual round lights over the cat-eye lights in the rear.  Ahh, so you're familiar with the 66 Caprice?  My dad's was a tan one, about the color of mine.  He bought it from Grandpa for 300 bucks.  We had a 77 Ford LTD wagon growing up.

Quote from: Dan on March 17, 2010, 11:30:28 PM
Quote from: AtomicEraTom on March 16, 2010, 02:00:38 AM
I really can't make up my mind.  I'm leaning toward the 66 Caprice wagon, because of the love of my wagons.

I love wagons too. We had a 1978 Pontaic Grand Safari growing up. Grandpa had an ivy green  1966 Caprice wagon. My neighbor had an AMC Ambassador Wagon.

My son's ultimate car is not a vette or a camaro, but rather a 1959 Impala Wagon! the fins on that baby are incredible. Too bad everyone else want's a '59
- Tom

Dan

I love the 1965-1966 era chevys. I have a '65 Impala convertible that my dad and I restored when I was 16. I have had it 31 years now. I read somewhere that an independant study states 1965 was a watershed year in QUALITY for american cars, and GM in general.

I loved Gramps wagon, 327 with a powerglide, and smooth as silk. My impala only has the 283.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

AET

Dad's was a 396/TH400.  Bought it from Grandpa with a seized motor.  He also had a 65 Impala SS he bought for 200 bucks.  What's the details on yours? SS? What motor/trans, color?
- Tom

Dan

The 65 impala conv is a 283 burgandy, black vinyl interior that will burn off your legs in the summer sun. It has the sharp original  spoke spinner wire wheel covers.

Gramps 66 caprice wagon was a dark ivy green and the interior was tan with the little bubble plastic over the seats. I remember trying to pop those like bubble wrap as a kid. The seat covers stayed on till the car was sold in the early 90's. The interior was basically mint because of this. I had a 327 and a statue of St Christopher on the dash. I took it before the wagon sold and still have it.

Both are automatics and neither was lucky enough to be a SS.

I'll post pics of the Impala when I get it out of storage in a couple of weeks.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

AET

I'd love to see the impala.  My dad's was black/black vinyl top/black interior. 

And I would love to have been able to get my hands on that Caprice wagon.  I also have St. Christopher with me while I'm driving.
- Tom

Dan

I'll post pics when I get it out. It is special to me, since my Dad passed away right after we restored it back in 1983.

My dad and I have always been car nuts. I was the only 16 year old I knew with three cars!

AET

I'm sorry your father passed away. My dad's my best friend.  You sound like me, Dan.  I'm the only 19 year old I know with four cars, and all of them run!
- Tom

Dan

Dad was my best friend, but he worked 70 hours a week and what little time I had with him was special. I was 21 when he died (cancer)

My brother who was  3 years older than me, got a super sharp 1974 Monte Carlo. This was in 1976 so it was a big deal. He put 2000 down on it and paid Dad off with 10 $200 monthly payments. Dad never bought us cars, but he helped us with insurance and major repairs.

I really wanted a 65 Mustang convertible. Ask any guy who was 16 in 1978 and it would be this or a Camaro or Firebird.

Dad talked me into a 1969 Rambler because it had 33,000 miles on it, was driven by a little ole' lady and it was a bullet proof TANK! $400 bucks Cheap to insure too.

Then my little sis in 1979 got a Olds Cutless Supreme and I really thought Dad thought he short changed me (even though I loved the rambler). We were hot on the trail for an original '65 stang conv at that point. I found a hardtop 1965, Ivy green  with a 225 horse 289 GT 4BBL engine. It was loaded with factory air, spoke spinners and power steering and brakes and 55,000 original miles . Price 1800!. We bought it.

Finally six months later the guy whom I bought the rambler off of (he was the son of the little ole lady) had an aunt with a 1965 impala. It had a bel air doghouse (lime green) on a burgundy body of an impala with a rotted top (not working) and rust on the quarters.

This is the car we restored together over a year. It cost $400 too (like the rambler) I put a grand in it between the paint, top and new top motor. It now has 105,000 miles. on it. I still have the stang and the impala. They are a symbol of my childhood and especially dad. The Mustang originally got all the looks and glory but in the last decade or so the Impala is now worth more and gets more thumbs up

The rambler lasted from 1978-1988 until I was rearended . The insurance company gave me 1200 for  it (it was totalled) and I used some of the money to by an engagement ring for the wifey (soon to be in 1989).

I have pushed AMC products on my sons, but surprisingly, my oldest wants a 2005 GT stang and my second son wants a Lincoln Mark 8 or a Mitsubishi 3000gt!

Bill Cahill

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on March 21, 2010, 04:17:28 AM
I'd love to see the impala.  My dad's was black/black vinyl top/black interior. 

And I would love to have been able to get my hands on that Caprice wagon.  I also have St. Christopher with me while I'm driving.
My mother bought a new Impala in 1962. Nothing but, trouble.
Many breakdowns. Many no starts.
Went through 2 barbeurators, 4 batteries, many spark plugs, 2 sets spark plug wires, brakes, shocks, and, at last attempt in 1965 engine kept back firing. Wouldn't keep running. My mother had to pay to have it towed away.  >:(
Worse than a Ford.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

AET

My mom had an AMC that was junk.  It was an 81 Eagle Sport.  She bought it in 83, when she graduated. Kind of a neat car, my grandpa bought it new from Ernie Von Schleidorn.  They had that car still when I was little, 3 engines and 4 transmissions later.  The first engine went a week after the warranty went out.  My grandpa went in there and threatened Ernie (they were good friends) and the work was done as it would be under warranty.  My dad liked that car.

In the 89 or so, my dad told my mom he was bringing home a car for his work (he was a lather in Milwaukee at the time and needed to haul tools).  He brought home a 'baby poo brown' 1977 Ford LTD station wagon.  (dad was a wagon guy before he was a truck guy) My ma told him she would not drive it and that she would not be stuck with it.  And he said that was fine, it was his car and he would be driving it.  Ma used to have to drive her grandpa's black Ford Woodie wagon before she bought the eagle.  We also had a Renault somewhere in here briefly.

In 1991, dad bought a Toyota pickup truck, which he had for 10 years to the day, oddly enough.  Good truck, had to be taken to the shop once in 10 years.  He was using that for the trades in Milwaukee because it was easier to fit into parking spots than the land yacht.  So, the Eagle was sold, and mom got the wagon.  She wasn't happy until 1993 when my brother and sister were born.  She loved it then because she could get three of the old school tanks of  car seats across the back seat.  And it went though the snow very well.

In 95, we sold that wagon for 200 bucks (wish I coulda had it) and dad bought Mom an 89 Voyager.  I hated that van, that heavy sliding door, ugly color, ugly pinstriping.  Everything in and out was black or burgundy.  The car always broke down, got stuck, radiator hoses blew, it was terrible.  She got a winter vehicle later on.  87 Dodge Power Ram, 7 mpg, city, highway, towing a trailer, always the same. 

In 2000 we won the lottery and Dad's gift to himself was a brand new 2000 Silverado.  Which he still has, lettered for his business. And 10 years later, it only has 30,000 miles on it.  It's never driven in rain, snow, cold, extreme sun, anything that could damage the frame, body, or paint. 

We got rid of the van for a 95 Jimmy in 02, which we still have after 204,000 miles, an engine top end rebuild, and a junk yard trans.  My sister drives it now.  And mom was given a 2002 TrailBlazer which she still drives.

That's an un-necessary history of our daily drivers that I remember.
- Tom

Dan

Cool Tom, I think it was interesting. It's a shame your Eagle gave you troubles. I guess it's really random. I've been fortunate with Chryslers and previous to that AMC's. My brother gets GM and they always break down. My sister swears by Hyundais. To each his own.

I bet the ford wagon was really cool. I  actually like brown on a car. You don't see it often anymore.

AET

We've had two good mopars and a bad one, and a bad AMC.  All our other cars have worked out well.  I swear by GM, even though my daily driver is a Ford.
- Tom

jsowers

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on March 22, 2010, 02:41:55 AM
In 95, we sold that wagon for 200 bucks (wish I coulda had it) and dad bought Mom an 89 Voyager.  I hated that van, that heavy sliding door, ugly color, ugly pinstriping.  Everything in and out was black or burgundy.  The car always broke down, got stuck, radiator hoses blew, it was terrible.

While shopping for the 1990 Mercury wagon, I test drove a 1990 Dodge Caravan. It had a great sound system, and it needed it to cover up the awful noise the sliding door made when it didn't seal and wind whistled through it at 35 mph. I didn't buy that mini-van and have had a low opinion of them since then. Just where do you put all those seats if you suddenly need to load something long in it, and you're not at home? The utility of a wagon can't be beat, with the flat load floor and nothing needs to be removed.
Jonathan

Dennis Markham

Jonathan, they've come a long way since 1990.  Now those seats fold under the floor I think, from seeing the commercials.