News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40 Handset (AE Type 41) Connections

Started by court84, November 03, 2013, 08:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Okay, hopefully everyone can find the topic now as I merged the two topics about this phone together and renamed it.

Terry

court84

Quote from: G-Man on November 07, 2013, 05:44:04 PM
If you continue to have problems connecting it, as was previously requested in your first thread, please provide a link to the eBay auction that you purchased your replacement handset.

That way we can tell if it is a Western Electric, Automatic Electric, Stromberg Carlson or whatever type of handset may be.

Here's what I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171148202913?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

wds

Picture of the ebay listing.
Dave

G-Man

Quote from: court84 on November 07, 2013, 05:18:01 PM
Thanks again to every one.
The handset I have has 4 screws 1 is BR
                                               1 is  OR
                                                1 is  R
                                                 1 has no marking

Wanted to check back to see if you have had any luck with wiring your handset?

court84

Thanks for asking.  No luck with wiring.  I think it must be some other problem. Sorry I took so long in responding.  I put the phone aside and forgot about it.

court84

I finally got a chance to work on this phone today and I got it working!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :
I found a wire that I had failed to reconnect because of the low lighting I had where I was working.
Learned my lesson.  Thanks again to everyone who helped me.

wds

I have several of the AE 40 handsets, and some of them are for 3 wire cords, and some are for 4 wire cords.  None of the wiring diagrams show the model 40 with the 4 wire handsets - where else would these handsets have been used?  I have a couple where the receiver and transmitter have separate terminals and are isolated from each other.  I have one handset that has the 4 terminals, but the 4th terminal to the receiver is also common to the "C" terminal of the transmitter which seems a little odd.  Maybe that was a transition handset that would use 3 wire cords as well as 4 wire cords.  All of my handsets came off of either model 34, 35, 40 or 50 phones. 
Dave

G-Man

Quote from: wds on May 12, 2015, 12:52:51 PM
I have several of the AE 40 handsets, and some of them are for 3 wire cords, and some are for 4 wire cords.  None of the wiring diagrams show the model 40 with the 4 wire handsets - where else would these handsets have been used?  I have a couple where the receiver and transmitter have separate terminals and are isolated from each other.  I have one handset that has the 4 terminals, but the 4th terminal to the receiver is also common to the "C" terminal of the transmitter which seems a little odd.  Maybe that was a transition handset that would use 3 wire cords as well as 4 wire cords.  All of my handsets came off of either model 34, 35, 40 or 50 phones. 

Some of the handsets may have been used for local battery service and later ended up on your common battery sets. Or, the telephone company or refurbisher had a supply of replacement 4-wire handset cords they wanted to use up.

wds

Thanks, but I was referring to the handsets.  A couple of my handsets require the use of a 4 wire cord.  Two for the receiver, two for the transmitter.  Much like a newer anti-sidetone telephone.
Dave

G-Man

Quote from: wds on May 12, 2015, 05:45:51 PM
Thanks, but I was referring to the handsets.  A couple of my handsets require the use of a 4 wire cord.  Two for the receiver, two for the transmitter.  Much like a newer anti-sidetone telephone.

Yes, at one time or the other, they may have been used on sets for local battery service and later ended up on your common battery sets.

The telephone company or refurbisher may have had a supply of replacement handsets with 4-wire handset cords or replacement cords they wanted to use up once they converted type-40 local battery sets to common battery service. Also, type-40 sets are antisidetone instruments.

wds

Dave

G-Man

Here are a couple more references...

Jack Ryan

I have never seen an AE 40 with (ie actually needed) a 4 conductor handset cord but then I haven't seen too many (any) LB AE 40s.

Other telephones did use a 4 conductor Type 41 hadnset - for example some of the AE 65 local battery & simplex dialling telephones.

Jack

Edit: I was mistaken - I have a LB AE 40 and it has a 3 conductor handset cord.