News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Suggested way to fix spots missing in AE 40 transmitter cap

Started by RotoTech99, April 29, 2015, 07:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

I need some opinions on this... The idea came from a friend who used it on a couple AE 40 transmitter caps. I've heard of on AE40 black transmitter caps missing area around the holes that you can take small diameter coffee stirrers or straws and epoxy that can turn black, and use them to repair missing areas around the transmitter holes in the cap.

1. You put the straws in the holes in the area and temporarily glue them in place. If the hole is a partial one, the straw will give the form for the hole.

2. Then mix epoxy (JB Qwik Weld or similar) and fill in the area between the holes.. TIP: put a small piece of cardstock or plastic sheet in the area of the hole inside the cap with a piece of tape to help hold the epoxy while it sets.

3. Once firm enough, carefully remove straws from holes and let epoxy dry to hardness. Then smooth down on outside of cap so it is level with surface of transmitter cap. Touch up with black enamel.

Note: The hole pattern forms a series of "triangles" on the transmitter cap; So unless there is a large area missing, this should be a fix to minor transmitter cap hole damage. Comments welcome

andre_janew

It could also work on other makes and models of transmitter caps.  Why limit it to AE40 transmitter caps?  Think about it.

RotoTech99

Limiting it to AE40 transmitter caps wasn't my thought either... But you'd have to experiment a bit and see how it does with other caps.