News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 90 Fingerwheel removal

Started by compubit, May 24, 2015, 12:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

compubit

I finally had to break down today and cut off the fingerwheel on a yellow AE 90 I'm restoring.

All I have to say is, as much as I appreciate AE's dial mechanisms, their mechanism to lock the fingerwheel onto the dial leaves a bit to be desired, when trying to remove the fingerwheel...

Good thing is that I have a supply of fingerwheels from a parts auction purchased on eBay.

The number plate is "stewing" in Sally 20 on my back patio right now.   I guess it's off to Sally Beauty Supply to purchase more. I find that I get much better results when I slather it on and let it coat the surface, rather than brushing it on to try and save a few cents of material...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

stub

jim,
           Try this one from the TCI library --  http://tinyurl.com/lwtjvhp   
            Try these- Insert flat blade pocket screw driver in dial card between 5 an 6 and push to the left and up at the same time to unsnap dial card assy. Put it back on by pressing on acetate cover with thumb as shown in last pic. Hope this helps.     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

compubit

This is from what I call "the middle series" of AE90 dials: after the model shown, but before the screw-on dial (which uses stickers on top of rather than paper labels underneath the plastic)...

I've found that if the locking mechanism gets jammed, I'm out of luck trying to get the fingerwheel off...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

TelePlay

Quote from: compubit on May 25, 2015, 09:08:10 PM
This is from what I call "the middle series" of AE90 dials: after the model shown, but before the screw-on dial (which uses stickers on top of rather than paper labels underneath the plastic)...

This one?

from the topic Stub put up in 2011

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5833.msg70508#msg70508

Yes, the topic was for a Kellogg but as AE_Collector said, same as an AE dial.

stub

I have found this type of dial card assy on a lot of 182's also. I have removed the jammed ones off by pushing and rotating the pocket screw driver in the same manner mentioned above. You can readjust it all after you get it removed.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

compubit

It's one of the dials with the hole near the 6, where you have to get the pin in t an angle to pull the locking mechanism toward the center of the dial to unlock it.  I'm sure the designers were making sure that they didn't infringe on any of WE's patents!

Jim

stub

Jim,
       I thought on those you push straight down or in and the tab drops out of the lock position then rotate the dial past 0 and it comes off. I use taxidermy pins that are cut off to a flat point. stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

compubit

This one was out of whack, so I couldn't "catch" the tab at all using a pin in the hole.

Jim