News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another NEC in Portland? Hmmm...

Started by Greg G., January 29, 2011, 06:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Does this look familiar?  I contacted the guy about this.  When he gave me some particulars (belonged to his Dad) and the fact that he was in Portland, I asked him if his Dad had a stash of these phones because it sounded familiar.  He denied it, said it was coincidental, but then he emailed me and said he couldn't find it.  So I looked a little closer at the CL pic, I'll be gosh-darned if it wasn't the same phone!  So I emailed him back saying to quit looking for it because he already sold it to me 2 years ago!  Funny.

The first 3 pics are from the CL ad, the 4th pic is after I got it home.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/clt/2178807310.html ( dead link 03-03-21 )

QuoteAntique Black Cradle-Type Rotary Phone with Asian Markings - $70 (NE Portland)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-01-25, 12:32AM PST
Reply to: sale-depzz-2178807310@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old-fashioned rotary desk telephone with Asian markings on the center rotary dial.

Originally used sometime in the early to mid 1900's.

Although older, it has been well cared for, but does have some imperfections.

-CALL JIM AT [number removed]
-- BE PREPARED TO LEAVE A MESSAGE INCLUDING:
-- NAMES
-- NUMBERS
-- BEST TIMES TO RECEIVE RETURN CALLS.

-E-MAILS ARE WELCOME. LEAVING CALLBACK PHONE NUMBERS IN E-MAIL IS SUGGESTED.

-PHONE CALLS @ [number removed] WILL GENERATE A FASTER RESPONSE FROM SELLER.

THANK YOU.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phoniac

Well Briny, He was either trying to pull a scam off or his memory is as sad as mine. I'm liable to believe the later. Nice phone BTW!

Greg G.

Pretty sure it's just the latter.  Probably still had the pics from an inventory he did and just didn't remember selling it.  I sure remember it because it was a real hassle trying to meet up with him.  He wasn't good at giving directions, I wasn't good at writing them down, and Portland itself is a hassle to get around in!  I only paid $30 for it, he was asking $40 2 years ago.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phoniac

Nice Price too!
I use to live in Oregon City, OR. a little over 55 years ago. I have fond memories of it. Someday if I don't get too old too quick I must go back just to see if there's anything left. Staid with my uncle Earl on his farm in Yakima, WA. for a week in the summer of 64 I believe also. Another beautiful state.

bushman

That's funny!!  I also contacted the guy on this phone  (I'm in the Portland area) And got the same response, "I can't seem to find it right now"   He said he would contact me if he did. I guess I won't be getting that phone call.

Bushman

Greg G.

Quote from: bushman on January 30, 2011, 05:00:07 PM
That's funny!!  I also contacted the guy on this phone  (I'm in the Portland area) And got the same response, "I can't seem to find it right now"   He said he would contact me if he did. I guess I won't be getting that phone call.

Bushman

That also happened to be my first vintage phone, so I can trace my vintage phone bug back to January 09 by it.  It technically fully functions, Phonesrfun/Bill helped me get it to ring (bad capacitor), but audio quality isn't real good (needs a transmitter).  I've relegated it to decor only status.  It sits on my vintage radio in a place of honor next to my avatar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrIf2g7B2C0

At the risk of getting off topic, I asked him if he had other vintage items he planned to sell.  Here's a list he sent me:

We do have some other items that might be of interest to you, depending upon how you define "vintage artifacts".

Here is some of what we have that we plan to list:
- several older cameras (1960's & earlier)
- Peanuts lunchbox
- steamer trunk
- black mantle clock
- Lionel O Gauge Train Engine & cars
- old-style butter slicer
- old-style clear glass & ceramic items
- rosewood jewelry box
- Indian-head Leather Briefcase
- two medium-size leather handbags
- ladies old beaded purse
- wood baseball bat
- bee hive smoker
- small wood lathe
- old-style pipe thread die tools
- Bible symbols book
- old-fashioned rug beater

There are some other items we have that I don't have photos of:
- 2 pickling crocks (for brining cucumbers)
- ham radio component
- automotive repair books
- youth-size baseball catchers gear
- glass & ceramic electrical insulators
- some other stuff (can be listed separately)

Let me know if any or all of these things seem of interest.

(I know we have all of these things.)

- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

QuoteIt technically fully functions, Phonesrfun/Bill helped me get it to ring (bad capacitor), but audio quality isn't real good (needs a transmitter).

Have you tried using a T1 or F1 transmitter in it?  I had to place the transmitters in many or most of my foreign (non-North American) phones to get decent sound quality and used T1s. 

Larry