News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Imperial?

Started by Greg G., January 14, 2011, 06:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

thanks Dennis, I appreciate it. It is one of my favorite phones in my collection. About 10 years ago, Mark Scola found an Imperial 302 on eBay. I never knew WE made a 302 Imperial, but if they did an Imperial Princess, anything is possible. His did show wear from not being put on a pedestal as it should have been, but still an impressive phone. I  made a copy of his.  So an Imperial 102, 202 and 302. I am Imperialed out....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: Jester on January 15, 2011, 01:54:07 PM
I don't think Doug's B1 was a standard offering.  I have heard from other collectors that Bell refurb. shops would custom make "anniversary phones" for a fee.  Many of these were made & presented to employees & their family members for wedding anniversaries, service milestones, etc.  A standard customer could also order one of these from what I've been told.  Typical examples of these special phones include several models of deskstands & most of the common handset mounts.  Considering how short a run the B1 had, I doubt that it was a standard offering as a colored phone ala "The Imperial".
Stephen....remember that the Inperials were done for Western Electric's 75 anniversary in 1955 as were the color continentals 202s. This was WE turning over their old stock. Notice the E1 is grooved and not a grooveless model that came with the original B1s. I hear what you are saying and you are probably correct that it is not a standard issue, but I doubt this was made in 1928, it looks darn good for being made in 1955. I wish I looked half as good, but I am a '53.....Doug
Kidphone

Jester

Doug,
I really think your B1 & 302 are far more "special" than the Imperial & not as easily found.  These are legitimate Bell System products, and were probably an extention of the same "use up what's left" scheme as the Imperials & continental--but on a more selective scale.  There was probably a higher price for these than the more common D1's, and I doubt these are as easily found as the D mounts.  They are both great looking phones & you are very fortunate to have found them.  You inspired me to search for a dark red 300 until I found one, but I don't think there is much chance I'll ever own examples like the two shown above.  I wouldn't mind, though.
Stephen

Dennis Markham

Those are special, indeed. 

Doug, I'm a little confused about Mark finding the phone.  Is this the one he found or one like it?

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 15, 2011, 02:50:49 PM
Those are special, indeed. 

Doug, I'm a little confused about Mark finding the phone.  Is this the one he found or one like it?
Dennis ....Mark found one on eBay, but it was in really used shape.It inspired me to make one. This is one I made with a brass plated 302 I had. I added the Ivory handset and the Ivory plungers with a matching dial card that Dave Johnson of Wistful Telephones painted for me.This was before Brother Kotke was making clear plungers. Now that I can get clear plungers, I'm happy with the ivory...Doug
Kidphone

AET

Negaunee? Is that phone originally from the UP?
- Tom

Doug Rose

Quote from: Jester on January 15, 2011, 02:29:51 PM
Doug,
I really think your B1 & 302 are far more "special" than the Imperial & not as easily found.  These are legitimate Bell System products, and were probably an extention of the same "use up what's left" scheme as the Imperials & continental--but on a more selective scale.  There was probably a higher price for these than the more common D1's, and I doubt these are as easily found as the D mounts.  They are both great looking phones & you are very fortunate to have found them.  You inspired me to search for a dark red 300 until I found one, but I don't think there is much chance I'll ever own examples like the two shown above.  I wouldn't mind, though.
Stephen...I didn't know you found a Blood Red 302! Mark Scola (him again) is the only other collector I know who has one. Mark got me the matching painted handset, mine came with a brown bakelite F1. IMHO they are the rarest of all the 302 colors. Lets see some pics! Did it come with a brown cloth or a matching red cloth cord. This is exciting news! I am very happy for you....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

Kidphone- COT did make some of those but with #4or #5 dials. #2 dials were saved for dial sticks.We switched  to gold plating. It was not that more than brass and looked nicer longer.Never liked the looks of the cloth modular cords but we had to guarantee the sets and could not do that with old cords. We needed more wires for modern networks inside subsets.Mr Marsh is still on ebay selling telephones under another name.
Robby

Doug Rose

thanks Robbie....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: Kidphone on January 15, 2011, 08:49:05 AM
$25 for the phone and the subset, if its close I'd take a shot at it. You can make this into a real nice looking phone, maybe not the real deal; but real nice looking. Put a E1 and a WE dial on it and it will look great. I have seen repro boxes from Gerry Billard in the past, picture is too far away to tell. go for it!

Not into replicas.  The subset and very shiny bells look to "new", probably a replica also.  What do Gerry's boxes look like, that is, did he put a marking on them of some sort?  It's only semi-close, on the east side, not really worth the drive.  If the only thing amiss was the dial, I would go for it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

The stick I bought from Billard's around 25 years ago came with a 500 base with an oak cover as a subset. The oak cover had two repro "gongs" screwed directly to the end of the box to imitate real ringer gongs.
= DARRIN =

Doug Rose

Quote from: bingster on January 18, 2011, 12:00:51 AM
The stick I bought from Billard's around 25 years ago came with a 500 base with an oak cover as a subset. The oak cover had two repro "gongs" screwed directly to the end of the box to imitate real ringer gongs.
I had the same experience. I was relatively new to collecting and asked Gerry to please refrain from any reproduction parts, I wanted a real phone. "no problem." I think 90% of it was reproduction. None of my phone calls were returned. I learned a valuable lesson....Doug
Kidphone

guitar1580

Wow, that 102 Imperial with the E handset and braided cord is beautiful.  I did not know they existed.  That's a catch to be proud of for sure.  Thx for the pics.

Josh P

LarryInMichigan

Doug,

The phone is beautiful, but the number card shows "Negaunee", which is in Michigan.  Please send it back to where it belongs :)

Larry

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Kidphone on January 14, 2011, 06:26:59 PM
Dennis...Here is my WE B1 102 Imperial. Great #2AA dial. I haven't seen another before, but I am sure they are out there. Came with a matching 684 sub set. This is a working set that I had off the shelf replacing the line cord to the subset. Only a little missing paint on the handset. Love the handset cord. This is one of my favorite phones. I heard Old Chicago might have made some of these, Robbie? This did not have the awful tell tale flat Old Chicago repro cords, but they could have been replaced. Leather cover is exactly like the D1 202 Imperials. Love this guy...Doug

Old Chicago used to make imperials. He would also make gold plated imperials.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.