News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Imperial?

Started by Greg G., January 14, 2011, 06:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Is this an Imperial?  The base is round.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Does it have B1 on the back on the neck? Otherwise its a reproduction. I have one, do a stare and compare with your real B1. The cradle is also a bit different if it does not have the B1 and a tad taller The AE dial is a definite cause for concern. Does it have a new network inside. From the far away one shot, I vote reproduction until come conclusive evidence comes forward...Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

It looks like a repro from here.  The base and cradle look like B1, but I have seen repros of B1s. The dial is wrong.  There appears to be a 4-prong plug attached to phone, so I do not know what the subset is supposed to be doing.

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: Kidphone on January 14, 2011, 09:00:57 AM
Does it have B1 on the back on the neck? Otherwise its a reproduction.

Dunno, that's the only pic available, it's listed on CL.  But I can ask.

Quote from: Kidphone on January 14, 2011, 09:00:57 AM

I have one, do a stare and compare with your real B1. The cradle is also a bit different if it does not have the B1 and a tad taller The AE dial is a definite cause for concern. Does it have a new network inside. From the far away one shot, I vote reproduction until come conclusive evidence comes forward...Doug

I'm impressed you can tell it's an AE dial just from that shot, clue me in.  I haven't joined the B1 club yet, just a couple of D1s, but they do clearly say D1 on the back.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 14, 2011, 09:57:38 AM
It looks like a repro from here.  The base and cradle look like B1, but I have seen repros of B1s. The dial is wrong.  There appears to be a 4-prong plug attached to phone, so I do not know what the subset is supposed to be doing.

Larry

There's one attached to the subset too, that puzzles me. 
- Mike Row
e

bingster

Quote from: Brinybay on January 14, 2011, 04:08:54 PM
I'm impressed you can tell it's an AE dial just from that shot, clue me in.  I haven't joined the B1 club yet, just a couple of D1s, but they do clearly say D1 on the back.

It's the position of the fingerstop.  The AE fingerstop is down toward the 5:30 position with the "0" at dead 6:00, while a WE fingerstop is around the 4:00 position. 
= DARRIN =

Doug Rose

The dials are huge factor in determining the value of WE phone. The #2 dials, with the fingerstop screwed into the side of the dial are most desirable. With that great clickety clack sound. These sat on the phone, not inside and only fit on a B1 102,  a candlestick and a WE 553 Wall phone. Next in line is the #4 dial, great clickety clack sound, most are upgraded #2 dials, but not all. A brass 5H made in January and February of 1949 is also a nice dial. The #5s and the #6 end the run. As Darrin said, the  zero placement is the key with distinguishing dials. Zero at 6PM its an AE type dial, 4PM its a Western. A good #2 with a notchless plate will set you back $100 +. Educate yourself on the dials, almost as much phone as the phones themselves....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

So the B1s were also made into Imperials?  The only Imperials I've seen have been D1s.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

I've never seen a B1 Imperial but that doesn't mean they don't exist...I've just never seen one.

Doug Rose

Dennis...Here is my WE B1 102 Imperial. Great #2AA dial. I haven't seen another before, but I am sure they are out there. Came with a matching 684 sub set. This is a working set that I had off the shelf replacing the line cord to the subset. Only a little missing paint on the handset. Love the handset cord. This is one of my favorite phones. I heard Old Chicago might have made some of these, Robbie? This did not have the awful tell tale flat Old Chicago repro cords, but they could have been replaced. Leather cover is exactly like the D1 202 Imperials. Love this guy...Doug
Kidphone

Dan

That cord is gorgeous :o
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Greg G.

I talked to the seller, there is no B1 marking on the back of the neck.  I tried to explain it's not a genuine antique, he argued that it was because it was brass and the handset was bakelite, but it was more because he was uninformed.  He was only asking $25 for it, I wonder if that subset is also a replica?
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

$25 for the phone and the subset, if its close I'd take a shot at it. You can make this into a real nice looking phone, maybe not the real deal; but real nice looking. Put a E1 and a WE dial on it and it will look great. I have seen repro boxes from Gerry Billard in the past, picture is too far away to tell. go for it!
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Doug, your phone is beautiful.  Thanks for sharing that.  I had no idea B1's were also used for Imperial phones.

Jester

I don't think Doug's B1 was a standard offering.  I have heard from other collectors that Bell refurb. shops would custom make "anniversary phones" for a fee.  Many of these were made & presented to employees & their family members for wedding anniversaries, service milestones, etc.  A standard customer could also order one of these from what I've been told.  Typical examples of these special phones include several models of deskstands & most of the common handset mounts.  Considering how short a run the B1 had, I doubt that it was a standard offering as a colored phone ala "The Imperial".
Stephen