News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Don't Touch That Dial.

Started by Dan/Panther, September 19, 2008, 07:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benhutcherson

For a #6 and #7 dial, the main thing I do is remove the gear train, which contains the governor and the eccentric, from the dial body.

Once I have the gear train off, I take it apart(three screws). The bottom plate, which should have nothing still attached, and the center gear, which comes completely free, both get dunked in a solvent bath.

The top plate, which still has the governor, and the cam, attached, gets sprayed down with solvent. I pay particular attention to the governor itself.

I then take a Q-tip, and manual clean out each pivot hole, using solvent.

Finally, I give each pivot a small drop of oil. The oil I use is made by Labelle, and is specially formulated for small mechanical applications(it's marketed for model trains). It's a good quality synthetic oil, and is plastic-safe.

Anyway, after everything is very lightly lubricated(remember too much is bad, too), I put the gear train back together. I then put a couple of small drops of a heavier Labelle oil on the face of each gear, and I manually rotate everything to distribute all of the oil around. I then position the cam as it should be, and reinstall the gear train in the dial.

On the later #7 dials(7C and 7D), the gear train can "float" a little bit, and needs to be carefully positioned so as to allow the gears to mesh with the least amount of friction-this takes some trial and error before the train can be screwed down tight.

I generally don't remove the center shaft, as it's generally not necessary for good performance. Also, it carries some risk of breaking the main spring, which can happen when it's let all the way down.

I think that you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much quieter this makes the dial.

#4 and #5 dials are done the same way, except that you have to access the gear train from the top. Also, there are fewer gears, and the governor can be completely removed from the housing. In my experience, a #5 dial can be almost dead silent.

bingster

For my part, I go the easy route because I'm terrified to take one apart.  I had a phone once with a lot of corrosion on the terminals of it's No. 6 dial.  I completely disassembled the stack of  switches to clean the individual metal parts, and it wasn't until I got another phone to which I could compare it, that I got the thing put back together.  After that, I wasn't all that interested in taking another one apart.
= DARRIN =

Bill Cahill

When I get my WE 500 I intend on restoring it, and, connecting a modern wall plug, cable to it so it will work on today's wall jacks.
Now, as for cleaning, I use different types of non abrasive cleaners, including mild soap and water.
I have a synthetic oil for lubrication that should keep the gears, and, bearings from gumming for some time.
I will polish my bells, case, handset, etc., as well as innards, and, clean out dust, dirt.
That phone will go into my living room......
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."