News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 323 W

Started by LarryH, October 09, 2010, 03:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryH

My mother bought this phone for me.  It has no wires, but I figured that would be easy to fix, but I am guessing that you would have to have a box with some extra stuff in it to get this phone to work wouldn't you?  If so, what type box would this one require?  And can someone post some links to a wiring diagram for this phone?

dencins

You will need to do some research to find out the specific model but it looks like it may be a 40AL.  These were sidetone so you could use a 534 or 584 subset.  You can find the various models and wiring in the TCI library site for Western Electric Desk Stands.  Ignore the pictures on the index page since they all are 151's.  You can look at the 20AL or 40AL to see if it matches what you have

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=337&Itemid=27

Dennis

Phonesrfun

I might add a couple other things to what Dennis has said.  The model of this phone, like for instance, a 40 AL would be found stamped in the back of the transmitter perch.  The 323W is the model of the transmitter only, even though it is the most prominent number on the phone.
-Bill G

LarryH

It says it is a 20 AL.  Thanks Gentlemen I will see what I can dig up.

Phonesrfun

There is a lot of information on the 20AL in the TCI archives.

-Bill G

LarryH

So a 534 or a 584 box will work with this phone?

LarryH

Where is the best place to purchase one of these boxes?

bingster

You can find them on ebay for $40 to $50.  That's really the cheapest place to get one.  Most professional online sources charge at least $100.  But if you have a junker 302 or 500 telephone, they can be used as a makeshift subset, too.
= DARRIN =

LarryH

I will keep that in mind.  Thank you guys.  I will be back if I find something.

LarryInMichigan

LarryH,

If you are not quite so concerned about authenticity, but want a phone which works well, you can buy a "candlestick network" from phonecoinc.com which goes into the place of the old transmitter, and eliminates the need for a subset.  I did that with my 20AL, and I use it as one of my regular phones.  If you do connect a subset, the sound quality from the transmitter will not be great because those transmitters did not have good frequency response.

Larry

LarryH

Thanks.  I'll check that out.

LarryH

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 09, 2010, 09:37:34 PM
LarryH,

If you are not quite so concerned about authenticity, but want a phone which works well, you can buy a "candlestick network" from phonecoinc.com which goes into the place of the old transmitter, and eliminates the need for a subset.  I did that with my 20AL, and I use it as one of my regular phones.  If you do connect a subset, the sound quality from the transmitter will not be great because those transmitters did not have good frequency response.

Larry

Can you link to what you are talking about?  I did a search and didn't come up with anything.

LarryH

Phonesrfun

That one appears to be a ringer only, without the induction coil, so no.  It is not a subset.
-Bill G