News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WECo 555 Cordboard

Started by ernest12, November 21, 2011, 08:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ernest12

What do you think the shipping cost would be to ship the generator from The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island to Columbus, Ohio,  USA?

DavePEI

Quote from: ernest12 on November 23, 2011, 07:43:52 AM
What do you think the shipping cost would be to ship the generator from The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island to Columbus, Ohio,  USA?

The generator is a Northern Electric QGG1 (if I remember the model number correctly). Shipping would be somewhere between $10 and $17.00. It is very difficult to calculate the shipping on items going to the US, as it is a combination of weight, dimensions, postal code it is going to, and whether it is small enough to go first class (or even too small) in which they make you send it at a premium rate. I would almost have to pack one of them up and take it to the P.O. to get the price....

The generator is reasonably small and light, e.g. 6"in depth, 3 inches wide, and 4 or 5 inches tall. It is shown on the left of the main power supply of my 555 screwed to the plywood.

The connections from it are 10 vac from the power supply, and the output ring voltage is of 90V, which goes to the terminal block on the 555.

If you are going to hook up a lot of phones to your board, I suggest making the connections to the board's block with a short 25 pair cable with matching amphenol cables attaching to a mating amphenol then a short length of 25 pair attaching to a 66 block on the wall, the phones are wired to. That way, the board can be quickly disconnected for servicing, and can be rolled out for servicing by simply disconnecting the mating amphenol connectors.

Actually, I found a better photo of the generator, posted below. I have a number of phones attached to the board, including 302s, 354s, 500s, princesses, etc. All ring well with the output of the generator.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Quote from: ernest12 on November 23, 2011, 12:24:35 PM
I am sure the generator you show will work.  I would like to purchase it.  Write me how to order it and pay you. 

PM sent

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Quote from: ernest12 on November 23, 2011, 12:24:35 PM
I am sure the generator you show will work.  I would like to purchase it.  Write me how to order it and pay you.  

I found another photo I took recently of the 555 power connections, perhaps a bit easier to follow.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

I was going to ask "Where's the -24V Talk Battery" but finally noticed it at the far right side of the block. So it really goes on Pins 1 & 2 but also gets attached to the metal frame of the PBX.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_collector on November 23, 2011, 09:28:54 PM
I was going to ask "Where's the -24V Talk Battery" but finally noticed it at the far right side of the block. So it really goes on Pins 1 & 2 but also gets attached to the metal frame of the PBX.
Terry
Hi Terry:

Yep! I am going to trek through the snow to mail out the ring generator this morning to ernest12 - have to ask him to say Hi to his cousin Lily (inside joke)! Now he can have his board do the "one ringy-dingy,  two ringy dingy thing!"
Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

ernest12

Well I am happy to report that the old 555 PBX is working at 80%. All the station and trunk lamps, bussers etc that I have wired work.   By replacing the mouth piece I can now call out using the Western Electric #52 headset, however I still cannot hear the party at the other end.  I exchange out the original ear piece with an extra one I had.  This ear piece might not be functional.  It is scratched up a bit.
It did not work.

Any suggestions?

My next challenge  will be to try to get the dial to work.