News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

North Electric 540?

Started by Aday278, June 22, 2016, 06:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aday278

Hello all! I have been looking for a rotary phone to sit on a console radio for a few months. I came across this at a local flea market for ten bucks. That was about what I was looking to spend and it was a neat looking phone. It was dirty and the handset cord is all electrical tape for the five inches before the handset. I cleaned it up a bit and it looks nice now, but I would like to replace the handset cord. I tried to identify it and it looks like maybe a North Electric 540. The stamp inside on the bottom plate says Aug 50. I know nothing of phones and would just hate to destroy something that maybe of worth something. So I guess what I am asking is what can I do to it without messing up the value to a collector.

TelePlay

Welcome to the forum.

Looks like an Automatic Electric dial, others can better say what phone that is based on your picture.

Can you take the phone apart, take the shell off, and take pictures of the base and the back of the dial. Also, take off the handset caps and take a photo of each end. Probably a 3 conductor cord but images would really help. Also, a picture of the bottom showing the markings would help.

I'm sure someone will be able to answer your questions and help you replace what once was a handset cord.

WEBellSystemChristian

Welcome!

It looks like you do have a 540. North Electric used AE dials and also made their own, but in AE's lower finger stop design. This dial, like on all 540s, was their own.

I don't know the value, but it's definitely less commonly found. I would say that replacing the handset cord should be no problem.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Aday278

Thanks for the help guys, the pic thing is kinda tricky yet but here are what was requested. The bottom doesn't have any kind of markings.

poplar1

Looks like 1955 dates on the transmitter, receiver and dial. 1950 would probably be too early for this model.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Aday278

Thank you all very much, I always try and do some research before I restore anything. I have collected coins for years and it always makes me want to throttle someone when I see a beautiful coin cleaned. I believe in better safe than sorry.

LarryInMichigan

That is a North Electric 540, one of the more stylish phones from the 1950s IMO.  The dial is a North Electric dial.  Ten dollars is quite a good price.  For the handset cord, you can use the same type of cord that works on a Western Electric 500, except that it will need a restraint with an 'S' hook at the phone end.  I can probably spare a cord and restraint (which you can attach).

Larry

paul-f

Welcome to the forum!

Several of us started collecting phones after looking for just one to display with other collectibles. In my case it was a display of vintage office equipment including a typewriter, mechanical calculator, ink pen holders, desk lamp, etc.

The other categories have largely been eclipsed by the phone collection that followed.  It can be addictive.

I also liked the Deco styling of the North set compared to its competition. There are several references here:

http://www.paul-f.com/500style.html

http://www.paul-f.com/North555.htm

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line