News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wire Sta-kons

Started by Dan/Panther, September 22, 2008, 04:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I thought I had posted a request on the small connectors used for wires in phones. Regular Sta-kons, are way too big.
Does anyone know of a scource for them ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

I have been able to pick up some spade tips at Radio Shack.  They come in a small bag with maybe a dozen or more.  It is difficult to crimp them to very thin strand wire.  I use them from time to time on line cords.  Those usually have heavier gauge wire.

At the Radio Shack store in my neighborhood they keep them in a drawer in the electrical department.  I'll look and see if I have a bag with the tag still on and post a photo.

benhutcherson

I go through a whole lot of these

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103504&cp=2032058.2032231.2032283&pg=2&parentPage=family

They're perfect for making line cord and handset cord connections, however they won't work well with overly large gauge wire.

They also won't work with cloth covered wire in my experience.

One note, though-I've been unable to crimp them with a standard crimping tool. Rather, I use a pair of needle-nosed pliers to bend each of the three "fingers" that hold the lug in place. Yes, it is slow and tedious, but makes a good connection.

House of Telephones sells both a version similar to the Radio Shack ones, and a larger version intended to be used with cloth covered wires. The house of telephones version equivalent to the Radio Shack version is significantly more expensive($.1625 each when bought in bulk, vs. $.08 each from Radio Shack), and no better in my experience. Thus, I only ever bother to get the cloth version from House of Telephones.