News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg 15G / AE 24 dial repair

Started by wds, October 12, 2012, 10:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I have been trying all evening to get an AE 24 dial apart for cleaning.  I read the AE manual for disassembly, and also an album by Jorge Amely -

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4556.0

I have removed the spring assembly from the back of the dial, but the main shaft will not pull out.  The manual and album shows the "tube" on the back of the dial where the main shaft slides through as being stationary, but on my dial that "tube" turns with the shaft.  What is the trick for getting the main shaft out of the dial?
Dave

kleenax

Dave;

if you have removed the spring from the back of the dial (by pushing and turning anti-clockwise), then the shaft should come right out IF you have the fingerwheel and everything on the front of the dial removed.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

wds

It's all removed, but the main shaft won't come out.  It spins so I know it's not frozen in place.  What puzzles me is the center tube that the shaft slides through - that the spring rests around, spins with the main shaft.  The AE manual and Jorges photos show it as being a fixed in place tube. 

I had so many dials out to compare with, that I asked for help with the wrong dial.  It's actually a Kellogg 15G, but it looks identical to the AE, and I remembered reading that the Kellogg dial is an AE, just stamped Kellogg.  Could it be that Kellogg uses a different main shaft and tub setup?  The shaft is acting like there is some kind of retainer ring holding it in place - in addition to the spring.  Or could it be that I'm not hitting the dial hard enough with my hammer?

Dave

kleenax

Does the shaft act like it "wants" to come out? I mean, do you get a little bit of upward movement, and then it stops like it's caught on something?

I have had that happen, and it's because that tiny slit/groove that the spring tail fits into is kind of palled outward like a "Y". I just bend that in a little with a pair of needlenose and it usually comes right out with a little forward/backward twisting.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

wds

No, it's not moving at all.  I did use some force on it, but it didn't budge.  I'll post a picture in a little it.
Dave

wds

I had already put the dial back together, and don't feel like rewinding that spring again.  I soaked the dial with Acetone and got the fingerwheel to spin pretty well.  You can't see the round tube since the spring is on, but at the base of the spring you can see a silver piece that looks like a washer.  That washer and the tube that the main shaft slides through and the spring sits around, spins with the main shaft.  I plan on taking an AE 24 apart to see if this 15G shaft and tube is different than the AE version.  
Dave

stub

wds,
        Mine's not a 15 G but it looks identical to yours. I have had the slot on the shaft, where the spring locks, to be bent out or spread that the shaft stops within 1/8 inch of being removed as Ray mentioned above. Hope the pics help.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

wds,
       I have seen some of these dials stuck because they had water in them at one time and corroded, but haven't seen a spun hub. Try to hold the hub part with needle nose pliers and see if you spin the shaft to get it out if not heat it with hair dryer, drive out the shaft and fix the hub with 3 spots of solder on the hub to plate ring where the dial return spring locks in place to keep the hub from spinning. Good Luck . The mounting base assemblies are the same on both dials ( AE Type 51 ) 24A36 and this Kellogg dial. Here's some more pics-   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

wds,
          ;D Get a bigger hammer ;D stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

wds

Great pictures - thanks.  I actually used my hammer pretty aggressively, but to no avail.  I wonder since my tube and washer are spinning, that it's broken loose from the mount, and if broken, what is holding it in place?  At one point I clamped the tube with vise grip pliers and pulled pretty hard on the other side of the shaft.  I don't like admitting defeat, so I'm going to try again, with that bigger hammer.
Dave

stub

wds,
          Did you get that dial shaft removed?   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

wds

Not yet - it's siting right there on my work bench - been kind of slammed lately.  I did bring the "big" hammer and I'm ready to "tune it up".  Hopefully tonight.  Thanks
Dave

wds

Here's the dial with the spring off.  I've beat, pulled, twisted, turned, and cursed, but the main shaft will not come out.  I put vice grips on the tube and pulled the shaft, until I gouged the shaft.  The dial spins quite nicely, but it spins the tube with the shaft.  It's the only kellogg dial I have at the moment, so i don't want to totally destroy it.  Plus it does spin pretty well, so I quit.  I also soaked it in acetone, which removed all the crud, do I'm guessing the shaft and tube are pretty well corroded together.
Dave

stub

wds,
       Forget the bigger hammer!! The whole shaft and washer and spring lock are pressed together into the dial plate. The only thing I can see doing is to get the main shaft to spin free inside of the hub then solder the washer to the dial spring lock and the hub on the back of dial ( 002 ) , other than that it's time for another dial.
         I could trade for a AE dial for the one shown in pics, after it is assembled of course ;D  Good luck. Let me know if I can help out.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

wds

I tore apart a AE24 dial that was frozen up, yesterday.  The center shaft pulled right out, without any problems.  I noticed the center shaft and tube assembly on this one is a little different than the 15G.  i still wonder if something else is holding the shaft in place on the 15G.  I'm going to tear the 15G down one more time this week, and take some better pictures of the tube and shaft. 
Dave