Main Menu

USB-DVB-T-DAB-FM-RTL-SDR-Realtek-RTL2832U-R820T-Tuner-Receiver-PAL-IEC-Inp

Started by DavePEI, August 18, 2015, 02:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Quote from: TelePlay on September 04, 2015, 09:40:13 PM
It looks the same

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391095249092

But I had to order it from a US eBay seller, or listing.

I don't think I've ever used a PAL connector before, at least not that I can remember.

Yes, that is a PAL or as they call them in the UK Belling-Lee connector. We don't commonly use them here, but a lot of foreign equipment uses them.

Yes, I am glad I was able to see the connector on the one you got, as I was worrying that you might order the wrong connector! That is the exact same one as I got and if you look closely, the seller says
PAL IEC Input  :)
Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

The Belling-Lee connectors (PAL is the analogue broadcast standard, Phase Alternating Line, and not everywhere in the world that uses or used PAL-standards use these connectors) are pretty much a UK-only thing as it was standardised by the BBC when they first started, and as the BBC is almighty youknowwhat in this country, then we got stuck with them, even though they're problematic at best... ;D

And speaking of problematic, got my B-L baluns today, all of which are junk, one had the plastic fall apart in my hand, the other two were shorted out internally and seemingly crushed by something in transit, so, yeah, that was a waste of money... ::)

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on September 04, 2015, 09:54:38 PM
The Belling-Lee connectors (PAL is the analogue broadcast standard, Phase Alternating Line, and not everywhere in the world that uses or used PAL-standards use these connectors) are pretty much a UK-only thing as it was standardised by the BBC when they first started, and as the BBC is almighty youknowwhat in this country, then we got stuck with them, even though they're problematic at best... ;D

That's where I remember PAL from, but never used it. Worked for a company that used video camera and displays (back in the 80s) and when buying stock, the choice was PAL and NTSC, and we never ordered PAL. It was in memory but only in memory so, yes, I never had one of those in my hands before so that's why it looked small. Just ordered some from a US seller so I get them before the slow boat even leaves port.

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on September 04, 2015, 09:54:38 PM
The Belling-Lee connectors (PAL is the analogue broadcast standard, Phase Alternating Line, and not everywhere in the world that uses or used PAL-standards use these connectors)
Yes, but if you are ordering them over here, they are known as PAL IEC connectors. If you do a search on Ebay in North America, you will turn up no matches to Belling-Lee. Do a search for PAL connector, and you will find tons.

Just another case of "trunk" and "boot", I guess!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

"Trunk" for the large removable leather-clad container strapped on the back of a carriage, "Boot" for the built-in lockable storage locker used by the driver to store his muddy boots on the carriage... ;D

I thought I'd have a go at looking fro an NTSC connector, for fair balance and all, only came across one (in the US) which was a quick-connect F-plug to a B-L adaptor... ;D

twocvbloke

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on September 04, 2015, 10:21:50 PM
I thought I'd have a go at looking fro an NTSC connector, for fair balance and all, only came across one (in the US) which was a quick-connect F-plug to a B-L adaptor... ;D

Sounds fair enough :-)  We speak the same language, but we do have different names for things
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on September 04, 2015, 10:23:23 PM
Oh yeah, my "top quality" baluns:
Was this before or after the Lorry drove over them :)

I hope you can get a replacement shipment.
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

I'm aiming for a refund, they came from china, so sending them back is a no-go, probably could repair them, but, they feel pretty junky to me, so, scrap... :-\

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on September 04, 2015, 10:31:37 PM
I'm aiming for a refund . . .

Let us know how that works out. Last time and only time I was offered a refund, they asked me to ship the item back at my expense. $20 to return a $7 item. Never did get the refund.

twocvbloke

twocvbloke

Well, that's this year's miracles quota filled, the seller refunded me the cost of them baluns, so, time to see if I can find some that are "more local" this time...  ;D

Still waiting for the USB thingy though... ???

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on September 07, 2015, 12:28:55 AM
Well, that's this year's miracles quota filled, the seller refunded me the cost of them baluns, so, time to see if I can find some that are "more local" this time...  ;D

Still waiting for the USB thingy though... ???
It'll come. That is the one thing that I hate with ordering  from China. However, I deal with them as I have had good luck, and the free shipping sure beats the shipping cost for most items from the U.S. It will arrive eventually! Meanwhile, I am still awaiting my Ham it Up up-converter from the US, ordered on the 14th of last month on Amazon!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Yeah, the free postage is a plus (unless it's something that comes out-of-box inside a plastic mailing bag and arrives crushed after going through a sorting machine!), it's just really slow, and in the event that something arrives that is faulty, and the return postage costs more than the item did (like a HDMI switch I bought, only about £3, but the postage to return to DX.com, about three times that!), you're both out of luck and out of pocket... :-\

I have a few things I'm waiting for actually, this USB radio doodley, a pair of LED filament lightbulbs (want to try them out, I like the looks of LED filaments compared to other types of LED bulbs), and a pair of north american-style brass ES lamp fittings with the pull-chain switch built in (as the equivalents we have here are cheap plastic euro-style ones which just look cheap and tacky), how long those take, haven't a clue, could be next week, could be next month... ???

As for "local" deliveries, yeah, I'm waiting for some IEC C14 plugs for use with my UPS units, bought 10 of those on the 25th August, the seller sent half what I bought and those arrived on the 1st Sept., messaged them the same day and I'm still waiting for the other half of the order 8 days later, so 15 days for something that should have only been at most 3 on this little island of ours... ::)

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on September 09, 2015, 05:39:16 AM
As for "local" deliveries, yeah, I'm waiting for some IEC C14 plugs for use with my UPS units, bought 10 of those on the 25th August, the seller sent half what I bought and those arrived on the 1st Sept., messaged them the same day and I'm still waiting for the other half of the order 8 days later, so 15 days for something that should have only been at most 3 on this little island of ours... ::)
Yes, it can be frustrating. And you would think Amazon would have some way to report its not being received, but I have looked high and low and can't find a way. Normally Amazon items come in a week - it has now been a month. At the same time I ordered the Nooelec Ham it Up from Amazon, I ordered the Nooelec case for it along with some connectors and cords from Nooelec itself directly (same day), and they haven't arrived either. Each day, I keep my fingers crossed that they would come (and I am sure they will eventually), but I think they must have shipped them via China from the US.

Its not as though they should have gotten caught up in Customs, either, as all the taxes were paid upon purchase, and both packages were shipped with a customs number, and shouldn't even go to customs. However, customs numbers are un-traceable.

Keeping my fingers crossed for today!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001