News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

very dark green 554

Started by Butch Harlow, October 21, 2018, 11:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch Harlow

I try to scan the "newly listed/BIN" on the eBay twice a day. It's not too often I find anything exciting. But after the big Dodger win last night I took a quick look. I found a very dark green 554 for 19.95! 554's are my favorite, and green is also my favorite. This one seems much darker than the basic Avocado. Its non modular and has an older dial center card in it, so I am confused a bit. Nowhere can I find the color listed with exception of the later phones. I guess I will have to remain in suspense until it arrives, but if anyone has some insight I would appreciate it. Either way 20 bucks is always a nice price.

Super dark green 554
Butch Harlow

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Butch Harlow on October 21, 2018, 11:51:14 AM
I try to scan the "newly listed/BIN" on the eBay twice a day. It's not too often I find anything exciting. But after the big Dodger win last night I took a quick look. I found a very dark green 554 for 19.95! 554's are my favorite, and green is also my favorite. This one seems much darker than the basic Avocado. Its non modular and has an older dial center card in it, so I am confused a bit. Nowhere can I find the color listed with exception of the later phones. I guess I will have to remain in suspense until it arrives, but if anyone has some insight I would appreciate it. Either way 20 bucks is always a nice price.

Super dark green 554

I have/ had a green 1500 that seemed to be darker than most.
The 1500's originally came out around  1964. It will be interesting to see the date stamp in the plastics.
Another thought is that some phones were made of different plastic. you can find soft plastic (tenite) princess phones and 302's who's color don't match the production colors.  This may be an early ABS plastic set that was a darker run. Maybe on purpose, maybe on accident.
Just some guesses,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

From what I saw in the pictures, it looks painted. Look close at the finish, it's not smooth like normal, it has tiny ripples in the finish.
KEN

RotarDad

That 554 should display nicely with a bit of polish.  I think the photo light setting is a big contributor to the dark color.  The white sheet background is more of a light gray also.  The handset in particular does look painted.  The body I'm guessing no, since the Bell logo looks very crisp.  The shell is newer (probably early 70s I'll guess) based on the more oval Bell logo indent.  The handset is is G3, not the newer "not for sale" version, so I'll guess mid 60s there.

Either way, hard to beat the sharp 60s look of a green 554.  We have a yellow one on the wall in our kitchen, like my folks did when I was a kid......
Paul

Butch Harlow

Quote from: Key2871 on October 21, 2018, 12:33:43 PM
From what I saw in the pictures, it looks painted. Look close at the finish, it's not smooth like normal, it has tiny ripples in the finish.

I too kinda thought the handset was painted, but it would be really hard to match it that good. I think instead it had some kind of oily or waxy cleaner used on it for the photos. Maybe armor all or even possibly wd-40? If you look at the wording in the handset it doesn't seem to be painted. I didnt obsess too long, because I didnt want to lose it. I will take much better pics of it once I have it and get it opened up. For the price, I kinda like a mystery.
Butch Harlow

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Butch Harlow on October 21, 2018, 01:25:11 PM
I think instead it had some kind of oily or waxy cleaner used on it for the photos. Maybe armor all or even possibly wd-40?
My impression of my 1500 was that it may of had something applied. Colored Car wax was a thought.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

tubaman

Agree that the handset does look like it is painted, but the body does not.
It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.
Whichever way it's a nice looking phone and well worth the money.
:)

Key2871

Well I think if a picture of the handset with out the caps on, or the inside of the case would speak volumes of the true color. I've seen phones that have been painted in the past, especially green, and they turn out darker. Because getting no the color mix isn't easy, unless you really take the crime to get it tinted correctly.
Don't get me wrong, it would display nicely. But I don't go for painted sets.
KEN

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Key2871 on October 21, 2018, 02:49:18 PM
Well I think if a picture of the handset with out the caps on, or the inside of the case would speak volumes of the true color. I've seen phones that have been painted in the past, especially green, and they turn out darker. Because getting no the color mix isn't easy, unless you really take the crime to get it tinted correctly.
The Polane colors match the production colors.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Butch Harlow

Quote from: Key2871 on October 21, 2018, 02:49:18 PM

The pics aren't the highest quality for sure, but the dial, the handset, the caps, and the body all seem to be the same color. That was what made me pull the trigger. We shall see, either way, gem or dud, it was cheap enough to take the risk.
Butch Harlow

Butch Harlow

So, I got the phone today. Very nicely wrapped and packed. It's just basic avocado, so the pictures were just that bad. The handset is definitely painted, but I am guessing by Bell System. I am thinking it's a C stock handset, it has a big letter C cast inside the receiver cup. The receiver shell itself is dated 1967. The receiver cap also has a C cast into it. The transmitter is dated 9-4-70, the receiver element is 2-20-69, the body is 1973, and on its clock date says C/73. The entire base is dated 4/57, network, bell, dial and backing plate. It's in really nice shape, so I will just clean it up and buff the body a little.

If anyone has definitive knowledge of C stock please let me know if I am right. It would be interesting to me. I will add some pics later.
Butch Harlow

Key2871

Well I'm glad you liked the phone. And I thought the handset was painted, most times those are the first thing to be painted.
I've been hearing the term C set. What exactly does that mean?. I have heard that term for years, but if someone told me I forgot.
I've looked around to find something that explains it, but nothing.
So please, tell me.
KEN

Butch Harlow

My understanding of it was that areas that were performing poorly didnt get brand new stock, so the old stuff would be recycled and painted to match. Aside from that, I really don't know. With this set, only the handset is painted, and it is ever so slightly darker than the rest of the phone. Inside the plastic is dull, but still green. Its like maybe it didnt have the sheen it was supposed to have, but they couldn't afford a new one so it got painted. It looks pretty good, no scratches or chips. Its an durable finish, but obviously painted. If someone other than Bell did it, they did an awfully good job.
Butch Harlow

Key2871

OK, thanks Butch. That makes sense, well good you got a nice set, all too many times on eBay I haven't had good luck.
KEN

Jim Stettler

I read an article from "Bell Labs record" about the "C" marked plastics. These were made from recycled phone housings and had the large C in the plastics to indicate that. Early sets were non-painted. Later sets started being painted the same color as the plastic. I assume to keep the colors consistent.
I think this was the beginning of C stock. This was still nice equipment.
Later on was when you start seeing really bad C stock. This is like a blue set painted black with a yellow cord also painted black, Mismatched feet, issues like these. I think these type sets were the stuff for poorly preforming companies.
JMO,
Jim S.

The article I read was on The internet archive https://archive.org/
I think it was in a Bell System Technical Journal.
You live, You learn,