News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 315 H: connecting to a WE 317 AD

Started by Mockingbird812, December 15, 2014, 09:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mockingbird812

Thanks, this is the info I was looking for.   These phones will be used maybe 3-5 times per week for short conversations (I.e. It will be used only as an intercom). Based on the info provided here, I am planning on the following:  I will use RadiolaGuy's design (seems to be the most authentic looking) and use four parallel connected C size alkaline batteries in two of the three "dry cells".  With these two dry cells connected in series the total output will be 3 volts.  The last of the three dummy dry cells will be empty and I will just place a bridge wire between the two terminals to pass the current directly through.

Thanks!
Sam

Mockingbird812

Quick update:  I have or have on order,  all of the piece parts needed for my "intercom" system.  Paul F had an extra WE battery box that he sold to me - it looks terrific with just the right patina.  I have 6 vintage battery labels on order from Sonny (aka RadiolaGuy).  My wife got involved and picked her favorite label design (see attached).  I have the 3 vintage looking cords on order from Mike at Oldphoneworks and even some special epoxy and dyes for the tops of of the dry cells suggested by Sonny.  Also, various other battery holders (radio shack) and brass piece parts.  I ran a test with 4 C size alkaline batteries (2 batts in series + 2 batts in series, coupled together in parallel for a total of 3 volts).  I connected the two lines between the phones and got a respectable signal which I expect to see (hear) improve with new cords and perhaps a bit more current. 

I like the overall patina of my phones and will only do a clean up with something like Murphy's Oil Soap.  I am looking for a recommendation for contact cleaning so that I can go through both phones to improve the transmission of the signal.
Sam

Mockingbird812

I'm looking for troubleshooting suggestions....

I am powering each telephone with eight 1.5 V batteries coupled together for a total voltage of 3.2 volts.  Also, I received and installed my new cords for my 315 and 317 and here is what I got:

* If I talk into the transmitter of my hand set that I use with my 315, I can hear loud and clear at the 317's receiver.

* If I talk into the 317's transmitter, while pressing the "push to talk" button, the signal in the ear piece of the hand set I use with the 315 is very weak - same as before I changed out my cords.  I can hear a faint click in the handset when I depress the "push to talk" button.

Thanks in advance!
Sam

unbeldi

Which kind of transmitter do you have on the 317?   Is there a number on it?

Mockingbird812

I coud not find a number,but here is a photo of the inside....

Sam

unbeldi

Do you have any other transmitters to try?
If you have an F1 transmitter, or perhaps better even an F1 handset with a cord, you can use the red and black cord wires to hook up in place of this transmitter for testing.

Mockingbird812

I don't but your logic makes sense and I better get a hold of one.  Thanks!
Sam

unbeldi

Quote from: Mockingbird812 on January 22, 2015, 08:40:37 PM
I don't but your logic makes sense and I better get a hold of one.  Thanks!
If you have any 500 sets, you could also use a G handset.   It really doesn't matter that much for testing.

unbeldi

You can also try tapping the transmitter on the side firmly against a solid surface, this shakes up the carbon granules.  When they become too packed over time, the efficiency of the transmitter degrades sharply.

Mockingbird812

Sam

Mockingbird812

I tried tapping the transmitter w no success.  Is there any way to dismantle it to repair it?  Or if a repair is not possible what type of transmitter do I have and what is a good source for a serviceable replacement?  What part(s) of my transmitter assembly do I need to repair or replace.  BTW, I have 3.2 V across the two terminals going to my 317's transmitter.

Thanks

PS. Here is a photo of the transmitter's ID plate.  May have to clean it up to make out the model no.
EDIT:  I cleaned up the ID plate for the transmitter and it appears to be a "349 BW" (see attached photo below)

PSS.  Why is there a purple translucent plastic disk sitting (not attached in any way) in the center of the transmitter's polished diaphragm (see photo)?  I would like to know what it's purpose is.
Sam

Mockingbird812

Time flies!  Hmm, 2 years has gone by :o! I tabled my "intercom" project aways back as I could not figure why my large Western Electric wall mount phone would not transmit.  Yesterday I traced the problem down (broken solder joint on the push-to-talk mechanism) and all systems are a GO.  Next is to set up the house portion of this intercom with the other Western Electric (315H). Now the Mrs can get a hold of me to come in and do my chores that I am most likely avoiding!   

Thanks again for all of your help!

Sam

War Horse

That's too cool.  Are those repro batteries you made with mailing tubes?