News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Clear Number Card Covers

Started by Lewes2, December 22, 2014, 10:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lewes2

What is the clear plastic-like material which covers the number card.   I have not seen these available anywhere, from vendors nor on eBay.  I would like to purchase new ones or simply cut them out of clear plastic.  Does anyone know what what the clear stuff is?  An acetate?  What?  Where might it be available?

Thanks much, and Happy Holidays!!

Chuck

unbeldi

Yes, they were made from cellulose acetate and today you can make them easily yourself from many transparent plastics.
The only trick to satisfy myself was to find the right thickness to provide an equivalent feeling when handling them.
I found the right thickness in the crystal clear covers of food trays in which sushi is sold in the supermarkets.  Many other covers or windows were either too thin or to too thick, IMHO.
With a 1.5" punch (WECo size) you easily produce a half dozen in a few seconds. The little notch can be produced with another punch.

Lewes2

Thanks much for the quick response. 

Curious to know the No. 2 runner up to Sushi containers. 

I'll have to look more closely at the bulk food containers at Costco during out next visit.  Or maybe Staples. 

chuck

jsowers

Overhead projector transparency film might be another option. I would think the film that comes in rolls might be thicker than the sheets, but it's hard to tell. I worked as a school system tech for over 30 years and saw a lot of this stuff and never saved any of it. One roll is $9.99 including shipping, which may be cheaper than Sushi.  :)   It will do a whole lot more acetate disks too.

Here is the link to the entire eBay category. The rolls are not that far from the top of the page, about 24 items down. There may be even better deals--I didn't look at the entire category.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Transparency-Film-/159708/i.html
Jonathan

paul-f

I took a more casual approach to clear plastic material collection.  Before placing anything made of clear plastic in the recycle bin, I gave it a quick check for transparency and size of available flat surfaces.  If it's clear, I snipped out any flat pieces and stored them in a small cardboard box in the shop.  Being flat, a lot of them fit in a small area.

The above is in past tense, as the box was quickly filled and I have been working off the inventory for some time.  Now, if I see a particularly appealing piece of flat plastic heading for recycling, I'll chop it up and add it to the box for future use.

Even though I have a punch, I often simply cut one out using scissors.  The WE holders provide a nice metal disk that makes a good pattern.  For others, I just use another clear disk as a pattern.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

unbeldi

Quote from: paul-f on December 22, 2014, 01:25:42 PM
I took a more casual approach to clear plastic material collection.  Before placing anything made of clear plastic in the recycle bin, I gave it a quick check for transparency and size of available flat surfaces.  If it's clear, I snipped out any flat pieces and stored them in a small cardboard box in the shop.  Being flat, a lot of them fit in a small area.

Yours is the same approach that led me to my conclusion.
I consider the acquisition of my dial windows as free, after purchase of the punch, the use of which I found esthetically indispensable for the piece part, and as an act, no matter how minute, of reduction of waste.

Phonesrfun

I use a clear plastic report cover that can be purchased at any of the office supply chains like Staples, Office Depot or Office Max.  I have both a punch and a circle cutter.  The circle cutter works better with the plastic than the punch, due to the thickness
-Bill G