News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dark Gray Kellogg DK-530

Started by LarryInMichigan, December 31, 2014, 03:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I just received this phone, and I am trying to figure out what I have.  I paid a total of $37 for it.  The shell and handset are dark gray soft plastic.  The WE dial, marked "7C-51 9 57", is obviously not original.  It has an ABS bezel.  The wires ere not connected to the network nor were the screws tightened to hold it to the mounting bracket.  The C4A ringer from 9 57 was also not connected.  The vinyl cords are also obviously not original.

The hole in the shell is drilled where a knob would be, but the edges are a bit rough, and it doesn't appear like there was ever a switch mounted to the base, so I suspect that it may have been homemade.  If I knew what the model DK-530 was, I might understand this better.  Can anywhere here shed any light on this?

Thank You

Larry

unbeldi

The DK530 is the dial version of Kellogg's K530.  The manual version would be the MK530.

Western Electric's 530-series were all amplified sets that had a volume control in the front corner.
So, since Kellogg licensed the design line, I would expect the Kellogg 530 to have similar functionality.

LarryInMichigan

So there should have been a potentiometer mounted to the base in the corner and an amplifier mounted between the dial bracket and the ringer.  I see no evidence that there were ever any screws in the holes where the amplifier would have been.

Thank You

Larry

unbeldi

ok, I found the DK-530 as being a Select-O-Phone.

It is in catalog No. 34a / Ke brochure 5827 to be found on probably Mike Neale's site.

However, the brochure contains no further technical details other than 10 available colors and an extension phone, DK-531.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: unbeldi on December 31, 2014, 04:46:39 PM
ok, I found the DK-530 as being a Select-O-Phone.

Ah!  That might explain what happened to the dial and ringer.

Does anyone here have a spare Oxford gray dial bezel and cords? : )

Larry

Dennis Markham

Larry, still a very nice phone as it is now.  Those "banjo" phones in color are very hard to find.  Even leaving it as a "black-dial" set is a nice addition to the collection.  Perhaps you can find the parts necessary to put it back to it's 530 configuration.

unbeldi

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 31, 2014, 04:53:47 PM
Does anyone here have a spare Oxford gray dial bezel and cords? : )

Larry

sure, how many do you need? sorry, sold out.

Dennis Markham

I paid a little more than Larry's $37 but I did pick up one of these this afternoon on eBay.   It looks to be complete.  The dial card reads Select-o-Phone.  It will fit in nicely with my colored "Banjo" collection.

www.ebay.com/itm/201282215004

LarryInMichigan

Dennis,

Congratulations, that's a great catch!  I am sure surprised that it didn't end much higher.  I am anxious to find out how it is wired internally.

Larry

AE40FAN

Congrats Dennis!  I know how hard these are to find in any color...

WesternElectricBen

LarryInMichigan

I expect that Dennis' phone would have sold for more if it had been a real Kellogg instead of a Kelloog ;)

Larry

RotarDad

Very nice Dennis!  I don't remember seeing any other color banjos.  Perhaps you could provide a pic of some others at your convenience.  I know many of us would like to see the dark gray post-restoration also!  Your "notable refurb" black banjo sure turned out nice, and this gray one looks pretty clean to start with...
Paul

WEBellSystemChristian

Great catch, Dennis! Really great looking phone!

Didn't you have an Oxford Gray dial bezel that was delaminated from being smashed? I wonder how this bezel would look on that phone?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford