News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

We know Henry Dreyfuss but do we know Niels Diffrient?

Started by Dave203, April 28, 2015, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave203

I have read the name Henry Dreyfuss many times over the years regarding telephones but I've never heard the name Niels Diffrient or at least I don't recall reading it until recently.

I was asked by my boss to visit a woman regarding a computer or TV trouble and while on the job I noticed her two telephones side by side. Line one and line two. It is exactly where and how I would have placed them. They were black or brown trimline base with a white or tan handset. I couldn't help but stare at them as long as I could.. Just daydreaming.

The customer noticed my interest in her phones and I told her how I collect them and love them so much and she was so lovely as to offer me an old telephone from her closet that she no longer used (a trimline desk set-push btn) and she also mentioned her husband worked with Dreyfuss and helped design telephones and many other cool things I couldn't begin to list here.

She also gave me a copy of his book Confessions of a Generalist. In his book he talks about so many cool things I think everyone should have a look if you find the time. I am not very good with details sometimes so I will mention this link I found online that describes Niels better than I can. http://www.cooperhewitt.org/2013/06/14/remembering-niels-diffrient/

He seems like a really cool guy and I wish I had the chance to meet him but I am thankful to have met his lovely wife and to have a phone that was once used by two amazing people. I will keep it safe in my collection and I hope to see her again one day.

persido

Wow, that is awsome, you are one lucky guy to be able to meet such a kind a generous woman.