News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Still wanna lease your Phone?

Started by Tonyrotary, March 31, 2009, 03:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonyrotary

This company was spun off AT&T and still leases phones. They have quite a variety to include modern phones and well as some of the older touchtone phones. But you still want a rotary? Yep we got them!
http://www.qltcls.com/

McHeath

Pretty interesting eh?  I came across them last summer in my early FoneCraz daze.  It's tempting to do it for a month to see what sort of rotary shows up, get a 500 and see what the story is. 

mienaichizu

its good to see that they the phones they offer are available in wide range of color, not just black or white

AET

They just need to start selling them outright too!
- Tom

Tonyrotary

Wow, this company is still around and still has rotary phones since I posted this thread back in 2009! Just click on the original link in my post.

savageje

That's just strange.  How much business can they have at this point?

Tonyrotary

I guess enough to still be in business, but for how much longer? I really though back in 2009 they would be gone by now. Still I guess its nice to see a remnant of Ma Bell hanging on  :)

WEBellSystemChristian

It's pretty weird how Bell System was shut down because of their leasing program. Funny how this is still allowed!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

savageje

I remember this story going viral several years back about someone's grandma in Ohio that was still leasing her phone for $10/month.  Her family calculated that she had spent $14,000 over the years for the lease of these units.  My favorite part of the article is where the author states that the woman leased "two black rotary phones — the kind whose round dial is moved manually with your finger."  Too funny.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2006-09-14-phone_x.htm

WEBellSystemChristian

I loved this;

"...in the 1960s. Back then, the technology was new...".

What was; the telephone or the rotary dial service? Rotary service was commonly about 40 years old by then, and the telephone was over a hundred!!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

CanadianGuy

I wonder if someone like that could sue the company? 14 grand?! Wow...

savageje

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on April 13, 2015, 02:00:08 PM
I loved this;

"...in the 1960s. Back then, the technology was new...".

What was; the telephone or the rotary dial service? Rotary service was commonly about 40 years old by then, and the telephone was over a hundred!!

LOL...the AP writer probably didn't win any awards for accuracy.  I see poorly researched articles like this in my local newspaper all the time.  They are usually good for a laugh or two -- unless I am in more of a ranting mood. 

Tonyrotary

That is the story where I originally got the link I believe. Also the story was off on the amount. The phone company in another article rebutting this posted the correct amount which was still quite a bit but not nearly as much as the story. Also prior to breakup, she ( or anyone else under the bell system) had no choice to lease as the phone company owned the phones outright and including the wiring in your house. The article forgot that last part when adding it up.

Partyline4

It's kind of like AOL, who was still having MILLIONS of customers pay for dial-up service way after it basically went the way of the do do.

You've got people who just fall into a habit and are too ignorant to change.

The company may also be praying on the elderly who grew up with this type of service.

Most of those phones are the kind I find over at the local recycler here in NC!

I highly doubt they're BELL SYSTEM PROPERTY!

Ha Ha!

AMAZING!