News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

D-75959 handset / butt set

Started by Bill, September 11, 2012, 02:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

I found a very old D-specification handset (test set), as shown on Paul-F's site at http://www.paul-f.com/weHandsets.html#1004. Though I don't see any dates inside, the AT&T spec 4566 (Feb 1926) describes it. So 85 years old, anyway. Neat!

I originally bought it for the 2AB dial. In fact, I considered pulling out the dial for use on another set, and tossing the rest of it. But now that I have my hands on it, I think I'll clean it up and display it as it is.

The thing works perfectly, but is quite grubby. To my ear, the dial is not only grubby but a little slow, so I'll send it off to Steve Hilz. I'll probably take the cords off and give them a wash in Woolite. I'm not sure how to handle the body. It appears to be plain unpainted steel (perhaps galvanized?), and has a lot of scrapes, dirt, and some corrosion. Any thoughts? Can I buff it up with a wire brush? Sand it? I don't plan to remove all the scrapes and gouges, but I'd like a finish closer to the original. It appears that it will come apart in numerous pieces, so maybe the dishwasher is a first step for the metal parts.

At $40, I don't know if this qualifies for a find-of-the-month, but I'm happy with it.

Bill

paul-f

Great find Bill!

The dial is undoubtedly worth much more than that.

Here's the direct link to the set:
  http://www.paul-f.com/weHandsets.html#Dspec

Some day I'll get around to making the on-page links more visible.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Bill

Thanks for the encouragement, Paul. I came close to passing in it.

I would welcome suggestions from the group on how to clean up the steel case. Looking at the second photo, I am not concentrating so much the nameplate, but on the grubby, somewhat corroded, case itself.

Bill

Doug Rose

I have used Brasso with a drill with a wire brush attached. As long as there is no corrosion, this should shine up well....Doug
Kidphone

Bill

I stand corrected! I assumed that the case of this phone was steel, but the magnet test says NO. I guess that means aluminum, though I wasn't aware that formed aluminum was available in the 1920's. See how an education progresses when you collect old phones?!

At any rate, this changes the how-to-clean-it question. Glad I didn't start with something really coarse, like a steel wire brush on high speed. But how should I start?

Bill