"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Henry Dreyfuss Designed Pre-Fab House Found

Started by HobieSport, December 15, 2008, 04:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

Quote from: McHeath
I too had never heard of Dreyfuss until my interest in phones grew, even though I had used several of his products, unknowingly, over the course of my life. 

I admit I've become a "fanboy" of Henry Dreyfuss.  Too bad all the Twentieth Century Limited trains got scraped.  Correct me if I'm inaccurate, but I think there were twelve of them in the New York Central line in 1939.  And I'm talking steam engines, not this diesel electric crap.  (Just kidding)  I liked how Henry left the streamline steam engine cowlings open to show the wheels and mechanics and actually lit them to show the mechanical functions off.  He was a good and modest man with a background in theatrical design.   

Perhaps the Twentieth Century Limited trains were a precursor to the Princess Phones.  Henry knew about lighting, that's for sure.

McHeath

That's cool about the lighting on the trains.  (my youngest son is a big time model railroader)  Good design is such a pleasure to use and experience, and I think, perhaps my bias, has an inherent beauty of it's own.  Since this topic started with a pre-fab house I'll go there for a moment, the missus and I looked into moving a few years back, leaving our mid century ranch, a one off architect designed house that we even have the blueprints for, and we started looking at new homes.  Well, they sure have nice features here and there, but geesh after shopping till we dropped for months we never did find a house we liked as much as ours.  There was a lot of awkwardness in the new homes, little and big things that seemed like no one thought about much.  There was also a lot of pretension, homes trying to be Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, I kept expecting Robin Leech to show up for the tours.  We weren't looking to be Lords of the Manor, just thought a new house would be a nice thing, but were unable to find anything that felt right, as odd as that sounds, and so put some more money into the old gal and fixed this and that. 

HobieSport

McHeath, I recon we'll just stick with our family houses. 

I am not a train modeler but I do have a couple of train models; not really collectors items. 

I have been looking for a train model of the 1939 Henry Dryfuss Twentieth Century Limited.  Perhaps your son has some information?

http://tinyurl.com/9wxzs9

Steve

I'm not a train guy, but the one that really does it for me is the Pioneer Zephyr.

they have one at the museum of science and industry in Chicago. after 75 years, it still looks futuristic.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

HobieSport

Steve; is this the Pioneer Zephyr beastie of which you speak?

http://flickr.com/photos/21653462@N00/110758304

Steve

Thats her all right.

sharp ride as the kids would say. ;P
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

HobieSport

Quote from: McHeath on December 20, 2008, 02:33:32 PMGood design is such a pleasure to use and experience, and I think, perhaps my bias, has an inherent beauty of it's own.  Since this topic started with a pre-fab house I'll go there for a moment, the missus and I looked into moving a few years back, leaving our mid century ranch, a one off architect designed house that we even have the blueprints for, and we started looking at new homes.  Well, they sure have nice features here and there, but geesh after shopping till we dropped for months we never did find a house we liked as much as ours.  There was a lot of awkwardness in the new homes, little and big things that seemed like no one thought about much.  There was also a lot of pretension, homes trying to be Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, I kept expecting Robin Leech to show up for the tours.  We weren't looking to be Lords of the Manor, just thought a new house would be a nice thing, but were unable to find anything that felt right, as odd as that sounds, and so put some more money into the old gal and fixed this and that. 

I've been thinking (danger Will Robinson) that maybe a good simple working design just doesn't advertise and sell well in the marketplace.  I wish Henry Dreyfuss was still around to ask.  I'm going to bother the Henry Dreyfuss Associates about our modern housing.

Steve

Quote from: HobieSport on December 20, 2008, 11:09:06 PM

I've been thinking (danger Will Robinson) that maybe a good simple working design just doesn't advertise and sell well in the marketplace.  I wish Henry Dreyfuss was still around to ask.  I'm going to bother the Henry Dreyfuss Associates about our modern housing.

You might want to channel the spirit of Frank Loyd Wright while you are at it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usonia
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

bingster

If you like the Zephyrs... I mean if you REALLY like the Zephyrs... Then head over here:

http://railmerchants.net/mt-zephyr.htm

...and buy the Mark Twain Zephyr.  Yup, it's for sale.  Word is the train can be had for $375,000.00.
= DARRIN =

HobieSport

Wow!  Maybe I can afford it with some of the bail-out money.  ;) ;D

Steve

NO PROBLEM.

anyone interested in a '49 500 desk?

then we could pick up some ladies on the way to vegas :)
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

HobieSport

I'm happy with a 1951 female model.  There are certain things that Henry Dreyfuss could not design. ;)

Steve

I would settle for this 1943 model. :)

Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

HobieSport

Unfortunately, in those days, most kitchens had not been designed by Henry Dreyfuss:

benhutcherson

I think I've posted this here before, but here's a little something to get all of the Dreyfuss fans mouths' watering