"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Strowger 11 Digit

Started by DavePEI, September 25, 2011, 10:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Quote from: DavePEI on October 04, 2011, 04:49:30 AM
Incidentally, Al last night was telling me that my phone has the original AE receiver with it, as does one of Terry's (the one with missing parts, Terry),
Dave  

Really. I have never been able to figure out how to tell AE receivers from other makes. I was told they are a bit longer than most other receivers but don't know if that is true or not. I'll take a look at my receivers again and see what that one is like.

Terry

teka-bb

Quote from: AE_collector on October 04, 2011, 11:33:44 PM

Sure, thanks Doug...only problem with that is that YouTube of course has a whole list of OTHER Carson skits available so there goes the entire evening! What a team Johnny and Ed  were.

Thanks (really!)....Terry

You're absolutely right Terry.
I also love this one ('Who's on the phone'):
http://youtu.be/U9lzUcjw1cg
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

AE_Collector

Quote from: teka-bb on October 04, 2011, 03:07:37 AM
Hi Terry,

My Strowger wallset has the cover over the clapper.

Thanks Remco. I guess the clapper cover is for real on these. Just like the push button though, lots seem to have gone missing although I am not sure why the clapper covers would be removed. The buttons were removed on purpose when the exchange equipment was upgraded to provide automatic ringing.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_collector on October 04, 2011, 11:52:02 PM
Quote from: teka-bb on October 04, 2011, 03:07:37 AM
Hi Terry,

My Strowger wallset has the cover over the clapper.

Thanks Remco. I guess the clapper cover is for real on these. Just like the push button though, lots seem to have gone missing although I am not sure why the clapper covers would be removed. The buttons were removed on purpose when the exchange equipment was upgraded to provide automatic ringing.

Terry
Hi Terry:

My guess is that the brads which held the clapper covers could vibrate loose with ringing, and the covers fell off. On mine, only the mounting holes are left. Only a guess!  :-[
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Quote from: teka-bb on October 04, 2011, 11:47:10 PM
You're absolutely right Terry.
I also love this one ('Who's on the phone'):
http://youtu.be/U9lzUcjw1cg

That is a good one too Remco!

Terry

Quote from: DavePEI on October 04, 2011, 11:54:56 PM
My guess is that the brads which held the clapper covers could vibrate loose with ringing, and the covers fell off. On mine, only the mounting holes are left. Only a guess!  :-[

Could be I guess. I should look at my Strowgers that are missing the covers to confirm that there are holes in the wood from the brads.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_collector on October 05, 2011, 12:03:53 AM
Quote from: DavePEI on October 04, 2011, 11:54:56 PM
My guess is that the brads which held the clapper covers could vibrate loose with ringing, and the covers fell off. On mine, only the mounting holes are left. Only a guess!  :-[

Could be I guess. I should look at my Strowgers that are missing the covers to confirm that there are holes in the wood from the brads.

Terry

Post your results, Terry. One hole should be next to the right hand bell - the other will be slightly under the left hand bell.

By the way, I have ordered my new dial card from Al, and also found a replacement correct bell screw, and have finished cleaning it up inside and out. With the new dial cellulose and bell bolt, it should look as good as it did almost 100 years ago!
Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

From Carson this thread has turned into Live TV. Please stand by for station identification....I'll be right back...

Terry

AE_Collector

Okay, I'm back. You are correct Dave, all three of my Strowgers initially had clapper covers. The interesting thing is that the clapper covers had to be installed before the transmitter perch becasue the perch actually overlaps the cover a little bit on the front edge.

Remco: Does your perch cover the very front of the clapper cover as well? Seems odd that they would design it that way.

Dave: The receiver on my Strowger that is missing the ringer is actually a modern receiver with a receiver capsule inside of it. SO maybe the shape of it is very similar to AE receivers? The other two are the old style with magents and metal diaphram, one definitely a Northern and the other is the type that seems to be rubber, bot hthe main body and the cap.

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: DavePEI on October 05, 2011, 12:06:12 AM
By the way, I have ordered my new dial cellulose, and also found a replacement correct bell screw.
Dave

Checking for nail holes for the clapper I noticed that all of the nuts are correct on my strowgers but one of the bell gongs is very slightly different than the rest. I would never have noticed the slightly different profile but I did notice that the hole in it was keyed rather than round.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_collector on October 05, 2011, 12:17:24 AM
Dave: The receiver on my Strowger that is missing the ringer is actually a modern receiver with a receiver capsule inside of it. SO maybe the shape of it is very similar to AE receivers? The other two are the old style with magents and metal diaphram, one definitely a Northern and the other is the type that seems to be rubber, bot hthe main body and the cap.

Terry
Yes, it is the shape. What made me think yours was original, is the rounded receiver/diaphram cover. I was told the originals were rounded like mine - your other two have sort of a stepped design to the cap like the 1920s and later replacement receivers available from AE. Mine has the original type diaphram and magnets. It is made of a slightly brownish bakelite or rubber - just slightly off black.

Interesting that your phones also confirmed them originally coming with a clapper cover.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

GG

AE did issue receivers that used the drop-in receiver elements.  Saw these in a 1940s-era AE catalog that's posted online for free download.   So it's entirely possible that the phone was kept in use that long, for example on a PAX system, and the receiver was replaced as a repair when the phone was in use. 

For some reason I get the impression that WE also made a receiver that took the HA-1 drop in element. 

DavePEI

I discovered a new material today, which I think I will use to make another ringing button for the phone.

The material is called Garolite (also known as industrial laminate, phenolic, Bakelite or Micarta). It is supposed to be excellent for machining.

http://tinyurl.com/3u8hwwd

It looks like a very suitable material for the button. The wooden one I made looks pretty good, but the Garolite one should be even better. Can't wait to give it a try!

Dave

C*NET 1-651-0001

LarryInMichigan

I have a couple of old Westinghouse fans with micarta blades.  The material seems to be pretty strong, but I am not going to test it.

Larry

AE_Collector

Quote from: DavePEI on October 05, 2011, 12:59:17 PM
It looks like a very suitable material for the button. The wooden one I made looks pretty good, but the Garolite one should be even better. Can't wait to give it a try!

Dave

Well if you get real good at it I know someone who needs three buttons! I don't have the contact sets in my phones though. I think it is pretty rare to find the contacts still inside. You did well there.

Tell us about Al Farmers reproduction cards Dave. What are they made of and what sort of $$?

When you get time can you post a couple of good pictures of the actual AE handset for us (me)?

I hear you were getting some pretty good wind last night and today. Was 100KM or 100MPH supposedly?

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_collector on October 05, 2011, 01:25:36 PM
Quote from: DavePEI on October 05, 2011, 12:59:17 PM

Dave

Well if you get real good at it I know someone who needs three buttons! I don't have the contact sets in my phones though. I think it is pretty rare to find the contacts still inside. You did well there.

Tell us about Al Farmers reproduction cards Dave. What are they made of and what sort of $$?

When you get time can you post a couple of good pictures of the actual AE handset for us (me)?

I hear you were getting some pretty good wind last night and today. Was 100KM or 100MPH supposedly?

Terry

Hi Terry:

You would need the contact set to hold the button in. Of course, I suppose you could put simply a spring contact in there to hold it and so that you would get realistic button action. The button is the size of the outside hole, but on the inside, the dia. of the button increases - the button held in place by the spring action of the contact.

Al has both types, the numeric as is usually used on the wall phones; also the alpha numeric one as shown in Paul F's second candlestick photo. They are $5 US postpaid. I don't know how many he has left, but I am sure he could tell you.

I'd rather not post his email address here, but will send it to anyone who asks in a private email.

Someone just sent me a photo of one of Al's creations. I will post a copy in a message below.

Yes, it was pretty rainy and windy last night and has been so far today. No damage, but I am glad we got those 5 trees down earlier in the summer! Despite that, we parked the vehicles  away from any tree

P.S. We discovered on the 4th that the high winds and rains the past few days took down another 40 foot tree on the border of the property! It just keeled over, roots and all!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001