News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

in need of help with 302/will not transmit

Started by southernphoneman, April 17, 2013, 07:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southernphoneman

I am stumped and am in need of help with this 302 refurb. before I give up and throw the phone in garbage pail.when tested everything works but transmission. it dials out,rings and I can hear very clearly.when I try to talk there is nothing.ANY POINTERS?

Jim Stettler

Try taking out the transmitter and rapping it (on edge) on a hard surface to break up the carbon. The other thing to verify is if the handset contacts are making proper contact. You can also clean up the contacts and transmitter contacts with a pencil eraser.
Good luck,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

LarryInMichigan

The transmitter is shunted by the dial.  Check that the dial contacts are open when the dial is at rest and that no wires are touching each other on the dial contacts.

Larry

rdelius

If you get dial tone and can dial, the transmitter or the capasator in the talk circuit might be shorted. while listening to the rec, pull out the transmitter.this would normally cause the set to hang up.If it does hang up the transmitter capsule was bad if you could not talk.If it did not hang up the capacator is bad.this assumes the handset is wired properly.A handy short cut i used was listen with the transmitter out of the handset.Take a coin or sonething conductive and touch the contacts, you should hear static or noise.

poplar1

Do you still have dial tone with the transmitter removed?

When you remove the transmitter, the dial tone should go away, but you can listen to the line and hear incoming ring in the receiver. If another phone goes off-hook, you can hear their dial tone in the receiver of the 302.

Also, check the transmitter contacts inside the handset. Make sure they aren't touching each other (shorting out).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Mr. Bones

Quote from: southernphoneman on April 17, 2013, 07:33:20 PM
tell you what, as far this refurb and this phone are concerned its over done and finished  I surrender/ this phone will be tossed in the burn pile

Just step away from it for awhile, relax, and breathe easy, before you toss/burn the phone. The fact that you have all else working indicates that you are almost done.

Have you tried to substitute a 'known-good' transmitter capsule? Do you have a multimeter? It would likely be worthwhile to test for continuity on both transmitter conducting wires hooked to the set. Cords can look very good, and be bad.

Above all, please don't burn or bin the phone. If it comes to that point, PM me, and I will give you the address for KHUT, The Kansas Home for Unwanted Telephones. (My house.)

Keep your patience, best of luck, and kind regards. My hope is that you'll get it figured out, after a breather.

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

southernphoneman

I am sorry to have bothered you all about this I don t seem to be getting to much response

Jim Stettler

Put the phone aside until later. then try again with a fresh outlook.
JMO
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.