News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Great example of pure junk!!

Started by BDM, March 10, 2009, 06:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

Look at this poor half dead example of a wanna be W.E. candlestick. Notice the later AE dial(if it's not a cheap knock-off Japanese copy of an AE dial), lack of ID plate on the transmitter (even when there is one, doesn't mean it's not a fake)...The list gets large with this fine example. Notice the classic 500 series subset. Quite common in the hey-day of these fakes.

http://tinyurl.com/bfdutg ( dead link 07-29-21 )
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

bingster

Four bids, too.  I hope the bidders know what they're getting themselves into.

This one's identical to my repro, down to the 500 subset.  Mine originally came from Billard's Old Telephones in Cupertino, California in the mid-1980s.
= DARRIN =

Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

BDM

Quote from: bingster on March 10, 2009, 08:57:17 PM
Four bids, too.  I hope the bidders know what they're getting themselves into.

This one's identical to my repro, down to the 500 subset.  Mine originally came from Billard's Old Telephones in Cupertino, California in the mid-1980s.

Bing, I once owned one also. I received it as part of a trade, though it wasn't passed off on me as an original. I was actually impressed with it at the time, especially when compared to the Design Line examples. Mine had W.E. innards including the #5 dial. It also used a 500 subset, but had a square metal cover painted black. A co-worker talked me out of it about 10 years ago. I actually squeezed $60 from it, and he knew it wasn't an original. He didn't care, he just wanted a working "icon", so to say.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

I bought one in really nice shape for $91.00.
I've since been working on it replaceing parts with original WE parts as I find them cheap. I just recently purchased an original transmitter with mouthpice for $12.00 and I'm now refinishing it to put on my repro. The only thing now not original WE is the base and stem. Someday I will find one of those cheap ansd finally have an all original dial candlestick. Parts by part, I've now got about $150.00 in it, still cheaper than an original complete.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

BDM

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 11, 2009, 02:01:07 PMParts by part, I've now got about $150.00 in it, still cheaper than an original complete.
D/P

Actually, you could probably drum up a workable one for that price. Minus the #2 dial. I have so many of them from over the years, I'm thinking of thining the herd.....Maybe ;)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

BDM;
I'll take a base and stem when you get ready.
I'm very happy with how my displays, but the all original obviously will display better.
D/P

Dennis Markham

Dan, that looks like a nice combination.  Beautiful radio and the phone ain't bad either!

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
Thank you, I can fool most of the people...most of the time.
D/P

Dennis Markham

You can fool me when it comes to desk stands.  I have yet to purchase my first one but when it's time I'll be asking for advice.

BDM

Looks good Dan. I may thin things out this summer, depending.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

That's a good looking setup.  Like that little panther. 

Dan/Panther

Here's a picture of my 30's display.
D/P

HobieSport

RobertL

Nice display.  What's the radio on top?  Looks to be a RCA 9T.  Rob.