News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

DIE-YET COKE?!

Started by Jester, January 10, 2010, 12:33:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I never got to use a slider, but I loved the putt-putt mini golf because they had a 10 ounce (not 6 1/2 )  coke in bottles.  40 cents, I believe (1972 or so)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

jsowers

Quote from: Dan on January 13, 2010, 05:58:08 PM
I think the one Jonathan is referring to is a Vendo 39 (held 39 6 and 1/2 ounce cokes). My barber had one. His was broke, so you handed him your quarter, stuck your hand in the door and MANUALLY pushed the drum to expose a cold pop. Always good and always with a little ice on it.

Sorry, Dan, a V-39 is a vertical machine and looks nothing like what I was referring to. Did you click the link I provided? The one I remember was a horizontal machine exactly like in the picture in the link. It was only about three or four feet high and when you lifted the right-hand lid, you could see the water circulating and stick your hand in it to get a bottle. There were hundreds of different models of Coke machines and that site has a whole lot of them.

My mom grew up working in my grandparents' general store and they had a Coke machine that had circulating cold water. She said the water had to be changed every once in a while because it got dirty.

Does anyone remember Caravan Ginger Ale? Now that would just about take the lining from the inside of your mouth! Or Blenheim Ginger Ale? Strong stuff. Burning hot on the tongue, with a lot of ginger.
Jonathan

Dan

I didn't click on your link, sorry. I think that one is called a spin top. I have seen a few @ coin-op auctions.

There is a place called jungle jims close to me. They sell Blenheim's. I drank one a few months ago. It is very hot!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Bill

Quote from: jsowers on January 13, 2010, 03:05:12 PM
Does anyone remember seeing a Coke machine that was horizontal instead of vertical? You put your money in the slot, turned a crank, a circular piece at the top moved until it stopped. Then you opened the small lid inside that circle and pulled out your 6 oz. Coke. It had VERY cold water circulating inside
http://soda-machines.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=569&Itemid=14
Oh my, I do remember something like that. It was a big rectangular tub with very cold water in it, the whole thing covered with a sheet-metal plate. There was a metal "track", for want of a better word, in the plate. The track was actually a serpentine slot, with the bottle necks poking up through it. The bottles sat upright in the water, of coursde, and you would slide them (all of them!) around the track until the one you wanted was in a gate. Then insert a coin, the gate would open, and you could pull the bottle up through it.

Not very handy to use, but boy did the soda taste good!

Bill

talkingtime

speaking of old bottle caps

Dennis Markham

Great photo.  I recognize a lot of those flavors from my youth.  It looks like the making for a good jig-saw puzzle.

jsowers

Some great caps, talkingtime. I remember when Tab and Fresca were new and they both tasted very different from what we were used to. One cap I don't see is Cheerwine. Do you have one? It's bottled in Salisbury, NC just to the west of where I live. The Peeler family has owned and run it from the beginning. I probably have some of those caps somewhere, but I'm not sure where. Cheerwine is a black cherry soda sort of like cherry cola. It's a really unique flavor and very carbonated. I use it in the family punch recipe I make every Thanksgiving and Christmas for a crowd of 50+. Turns it a nice dark red.

They still make Cheerwine in bottles with regular caps.

Here's a link to what I suppose is their site. http://www.cheerwinecorp.com/ It looks a lot more hip than I would have thought. Cool merch?
Jonathan

benhutcherson

My Grandfather lives in West Jefferson, NC, and I was introduced to cheerwine while down there.

A couple of years ago, the local grocery stores started carrying it, although in cans rather than bottles.

It's definitely one of my favorite soft drinks, though. I especially enjoy getting it down there, where it's bottled locally(at West Jefferson Dr. Pepper).

Speaking of regional soft drinks-is anyone familiar with Ale-8-1? It's made just down the road here in Winchester, Kentucky. It's sort of a ginger ale flavored drink, but with a much stronger ginger flavor than the typical ginger ale, and a whole lot of caffeine.

talkingtime

Quote from: jsowers on January 25, 2010, 04:39:06 PM
Some great caps, talkingtime. I remember when Tab and Fresca were new and they both tasted very different from what we were used to. One cap I don't see is Cheerwine. Do you have one? It's bottled in Salisbury, NC just to the west of where I live. The Peeler family has owned and run it from the beginning. I probably have some of those caps somewhere, but I'm not sure where. Cheerwine is a black cherry soda sort of like cherry cola. It's a really unique flavor and very carbonated. I use it in the family punch recipe I make every Thanksgiving and Christmas for a crowd of 50+. Turns it a nice dark red.

They still make Cheerwine in bottles with regular caps.

Here's a link to what I suppose is their site. http://www.cheerwinecorp.com/ It looks a lot more hip than I would have thought. Cool merch?
not sure but I don't think I have that one

talkingtime

here is a few more, some with different  design change over the years but all cork lined.

talkingtime

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 25, 2010, 04:04:14 PM
Great photo.  I recognize a lot of those flavors from my youth.  It looks like the making for a good jig-saw puzzle.

Yes, I thought the same thing and I once had a pocket watch 500 piece jig-saw puzzle that kind of look like this layout. Man it took awhile to put that sucker together. It was my first and only puzzle to date.

Dan

Quote from: benhutcherson on January 25, 2010, 05:12:26 PM
My Grandfather lives in West Jefferson, NC, and I was introduced to cheerwine while down there.

A couple of years ago, the local grocery stores started carrying it, although in cans rather than bottles.

It's definitely one of my favorite soft drinks, though. I especially enjoy getting it down there, where it's bottled locally(at West Jefferson Dr. Pepper).

Speaking of regional soft drinks-is anyone familiar with Ale-8-1? It's made just down the road here in Winchester, Kentucky. It's sort of a ginger ale flavored drink, but with a much stronger ginger flavor than the typical ginger ale, and a whole lot of caffeine.

Ale-8-1 is here in cincy in cans or bottles. Great ginger-ale.