News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Going retro with your cell phone

Started by Tonyrotary, May 12, 2009, 01:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

I don't like how the cell phones intrude, but then that was always a complaint about phones in general.  The cell phone just allows the intrusion to reach it's full flower.  Such as the wonderful experience of watching Star Wars: The Clone Wars with a guy sitting next to me yakking away on his phone, people always seem to talk too loud on cells, about how he did not even know what movie he was in he was just there for the kids. 

Fun times.

I have a landline and will be keeping for the foreseeable future as we have an alarm system that is monitored and cell phone service is simply not up to the "five 9s" reliability of landlines.  We've told our boys that if they really need to reach us, call the landline as that always works, and they can leave a message and we will get it.  There have been countless times, some in the last few weeks, where they needed to reach us and called the cells and the calls never came through, and the messages did not show up till much later. 

As for price, the local landline can't be beat, we pay 5 bucks a month to AT&T.  9 if we wanted unlimited local. 

Bill Cahill

Yes. And, I can't stand to see people in the grocery store, hardware store, etc., with that awful growth coming out of their ear yakkity, yakking. Especially not when they are being waited on at cash register.
"yeh, honey. I'm at the hardware store. No. I won't forget.
Yep. Three dozen eggs. O.K. Yep. Uh, huh..." etc.....
Cell phones. The cancer growth of mankind.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

HobieSport

Quote from: HobieSport
Right.  What amazed me was that anyone would make such an assumption or any association between one's preferred mode of phone technology and income. :P

Just to be clear, I wasn't writing about anyone on the forum making any assumptions.

I was only writing abut a person who commented in a newspaper with a blanket assumption that only poor people have landlines.  I am rather "poor" and I have a landline.  My GF is "poor", she has a landline and a cell phone.  In some areas cells are cheaper to use than landlines and vice versa.  We live in a rural area with spotty cell reception.

And the only real thing that bothers me about cell phones is their use by folks inconsiderate of those around them. 

I wish we had better cell coverage in our area.  Our volunteer fire department could use it to save more lives.