News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How to value a 5302?

Started by HobieSport, May 04, 2009, 02:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

Just curious how a 5302 might be valued in general compared to a standard 302 and a 500 in equal condition.

BDM

Individually? That can't be said. Depends on the buyer. Collectively, they generally bring less. The 302 has a more classic "look" if you will. I've met some collectors who dislike the 5302. Usually because the F1 handset looks goofy on a 500 type body. Or so it's been said by some :D Then again later ones did come with G1 handsets. Also the G1 was later used for repair/replacement. I prefer them with G1 handsets, as that sets the mark as a 500 impersonator ;D
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

It's sad that regarless of condition people some times do not warm up to a design (5302), then others they go nuts over (302's, and 500's). The just when you think you have it figured out, someone will post a 5302, and it will sell for $200.00, a real fickle group we are.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HobieSport

That 5302 that sold on Ebay recently for over $200 seemed kind of crazy to me. It may be in top notch condition, but still...

I also never really warmed up to the 5302 design, it being the transitional phone and all.  But I find it an interesting part of WE history, how nothing was wasted and all that.

Now if anyone can tell me whether Henry Dreyfuss had his hand is the design of the 5302 shell or not, that might change my outlook some. :D ;)

Anyway, I just bought a 5302/F1 yesterday, my first and maybe only, in very good condition for $35. and was just wondering if that seemed more or less reasonable.

BDM

Fair price for one in good shape IMHO. Not great, and not too much.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

rp2813

I agree that the only way I'd buy or own a 5302 would be with a G1 handset and coiled cord.  Otherwise with an F1 they are even more of a frankenphone outwardly than they also can be inwardly.  For me, the whole idea of a 5302 would be to trick people into thinking they were using a 500, the phone of their childhood and that is never questioned about whether it works or not. 

Ralph
Ralph

HobieSport

I quite agree that it makes much more sense for a 5302 to have a G1 handset.  I do enjoy the F1 though, precisely because of it's frankenphone charm and as an ode to Ma Bell's thriftiness.

To me a 5302/G1 just looks like a 500 with a face lift, no booty, and slightly lacking in personality.

Pics: My 5302/F1, and a standard 5302/G1 to compare:

AET

I personally love 5302's and have been looking into getting one, but will only get one if it's a 'deal' because I refuse to spend big bucks on my phones.  I am turned off by the ones with a G1 handset myself.  I like the F1 sets on them, because it looks so transitional.  It's more historic in my eyes.
- Tom

rp2813

If I were a rural/outliying subscriber back in the 5302 days, and due to my interest in phones as a kid, I'm betting I would have been able to quickly see that a newly installed 5302 was nothing more than a 302 with a facelift.  The F1 would have been the biggest clue of all.  I also know that if I were one of those who had seen a real 500 and wanted one, I would have been seriously disappointed to receive a 5302/F1 combo.  The G1 handset was the best improvement for usability and that part would have been lacking.  I think if the 5302's all came with G1's, someone like myself would have been pleased to have one installed and would overlook the fact that the guts were still a 302.  The public demand for the 500 was about style and not substance for the most part, and the all-important adjustable ringer volume.

I agree that the 5302/F1 is a wonderful example of Ma Bell's recycling practices, but that handset with a 500-style case will always appear mis-matched to me.
Ralph

benhutcherson

I have one of each, but my preference is for the F-1 handset.

The reason for me is that, while it looks like a 500 set, the F-1 handset is a clue that all's not as it seems.

My experience is that non phone collectors typically won't notice the difference in handsets unless pointed out to them, or if they notice it won't think anything of it.

By the way, my first 5302 was bought locally. I first saw it from the back, and my initial thought was "what the heck is that?" When I moved in closer to examine it, I realized what it was, and of course grabbed it right up.

HobieSport

Well, as I say, I like the look of the F1 on a 5302, because it mismatched and stands out as a weirdo in WE history, but the G1 makes much more sense, making it look like a 500 as it was meant to, and is of course much more practical and comfortable to use.

For further weirdness, here is Heath's 354 with a G1 that we assume was just a field changeout.