News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pekin Red WECo 302

Started by Gilas, July 28, 2012, 06:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilas

So I found this set of phones the other day on Ebay and couldn't pass it up for a chance at a Pekin Red.  Luckily Doug just happened to have a 5J dial for sale that will fit nicely in there.  I'll post some pics when I get them and stop drooling.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/221083026285?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Mike

deedubya3800

I also have to wonder about the date on the black one with the E handset.

Doug Rose

Mike...quite a steal!! Beautiful Red Pekin 302. The black 302 with the E1 is just gravy. I took the liberty to post pics of the auction. We can't wait to see the finished phone. Glad I could help....Doug
Kidphone

HowardPgh

Is the red phone plastic or metal?
It didn't look like the auction specified as to what it was.
Howard
Howard

Doug Rose

Quote from: HowardPgh on July 30, 2012, 11:15:49 AM
Is the red phone plastic or metal?
It didn't look like the auction specified as to what it was.
Howard
It is red thermoplastic and looks to be in very good condition...Doug
Kidphone

Gilas

Thanks for posting them.  Looking forward to getting them and the dial so I can start the process.  It will be interesting to see the black one and find out some dates and further condition on it. 

Gilas

Well I lucked out and found a great deal on Ebay for a Pekin and a black 302 together as a set.  It arrived today and although they were packed horrid.  The Pekin survived.  Black one not so much lol.  When I started to take the Pekin apart I thought I was in for it because the shrinkage was so tight that it took forever to get the base off and the whole time all I could think about was the fact that it arrived with no issues and I was about to smash it just trying to get the base off.  Finally I managed to get it off and disassembled.  

I found that the base the marking throughout the phone are 1952.  I also found that the case and everything else including the cords seem to be in pristine shape, other than occasional paint splatter which came off.  No cracks, no scratches to speak of...nada. I did lightly sand the housing however to finish getting the paint off and get the occasional light scratch off.  I haven't finished it my any means but did throw the dial that I got from DOug at least in the right spot to just get a glimpse of things to come.

AE_Collector

Very nice looking phone. A good luck story for sure. Glad it was the one to survive.

Did you get a GREAT deal on it on ebaY too? If so, August "Find of the Month" material....

Terry

Dan/Panther

340;

Nice phone one of my favorites. How much did it set you back. I got mine at the height of the phone boom, I paid through the nose for mine a whopping $900.00.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Gilas

Well originally I paid 225 for the Pekin and the black with the E1 handset, they came as one unit. The black one was shattered when I got it. I contacted the seller and she informed me she had the package insured so she was sending me back $200 of it. Meaning it cost me 25 total. I wasn't expecting much I was happy with the Pekin, as you can imagine, but she said that's why she got the insurance. Again if I never see a dime I'm a happy man and think I got a great deal

DavePEI

Quote from: lowrey340 on August 03, 2012, 03:19:38 PM
Well originally I paid 225 for the Pekin and the black with the E1 handset, they came as one unit. The black one was shattered when I got it. I contacted the seller and she informed me she had the package insured so she was sending me back $200 of it. Meaning it cost me 25 total. I wasn't expecting much I was happy with the Pekin, as you can imagine, but she said that's why she got the insurance. Again if I never see a dime I'm a happy man and think I got a great deal

You lucky dog you... 4/25/52 9 days from being a birthday phone for me....  4/16/52

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Gilas

All that I have left to do is fix the corners so that the housing will set all the way down.  But other than that here it is.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

AE40FAN

Dennis Markham