News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial ID -> Stromberg Carlson

Started by Gilas, September 14, 2012, 03:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilas

I bought a 354 recently and noted it had a non Western Electric dial in it.  Everything in the phone is original to 1953 and the dial dates 1953 but not Western.  I haven't torn it out yet to look at the brand but it's not turning right so going to need to be redone.  Any clue on what it is before I rip it out?

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Here is the dial in its "natural habitat"

LarryInMichigan

Look at the handset on the 354.  Does it show "F1W"?

Larry

Gilas

Thought I had looked but yes it is an F1W so non Western

poplar1

F1W is still Western but non-Bell

Gilas

Sorry that was what I meant Just made for other companies. Either way guess I'll try my hand at a SC dial now lol.

LarryInMichigan

Stromberg Carlson dials are a real headache.  They probably made the worst dials around.

Larry

poplar1

Check the contacts; if the shunting contacts make only when the dial is turned, then the receiver as wired will not work. Maybe someone changed out a WE dial for the SC? The WE 5H and 6A dials open BB and W contacts to open the receiver while dialing, so when a dial is used that does not have these normally closed contacts, you have to connect the white receiver wire and double blue hookswitch wire on the same dial screw, and install a jumper from the other normally open contact to R on the 101B induction coil. That way you are shorting the receiver out during dialing rather than opening it.

Better yet, find a WE dial.

Gilas

LOL after all that I think I will reach into my drawer of spare dials and just throw in one of the many old 5h I have and make things easier.  Maybe I'll just experiment on the SC one on my spare time

Sargeguy

Are you sure it is a 354 and not 252?  If so you may want to keep the dial in place.  What type of ringer does it have?  Do you have a picture of the circuit board?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409