News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally got some shelves up.

Started by Dan/Panther, April 22, 2009, 03:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwanna

o d/p  that's just the cutest pic ::)  how very nice to have a family heirloom. i have several "family" pieces of furniture. collecting old stuff is fun, but when your old stuff has personal history, it is extra special.

i can't quite make out the statue (?)  what is it?
donna

Jester

Donna,
I have always had a soft spot for old showcases & barrister bookcases, since I never had a problem filling them! :o ::)  I kind of gave up finding one after doing a little shopping & just schlepped into this one.  I agree the price was right, even with all the dirt & the missing glass on the left side.

Tom,
I'm glad your dad let you put up a shelf.  I was about your age & still at home when my first telephones followed me home.  I had the same thing told to me by my dad, but he didn't change his mind!  He was OK with my using cheap freestanding bookshelves to display my finds.  They were sturdy enough for the job, but not very attractive.

D/P

Years ago, I bought a gossip bench to give as a Mother's Day present.  I even shined up a metal 306 that was made the month after Mom's birthday to put on the shelf.  I still like yours better, and that's a great memory to go with it.
Stephen

Phonesrfun

Jester:

Nice nickel 20 stick on the end with the Hershey Kiss perch and the OST receiver!

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Bwanna;
It's one of those 50's carnival horse ashtrays.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

finlover

Killer collection, D/P--like everyone else I LOVE the "progression" shelf!

Jester, those colored 302s are so pretty they hurt my heart! 

Tonyrotary

Now that we haved moved into the condo, my wife wants some shelves on the wall above the computer desk. I have 10 foot ceilings, so plenty of vertical room. I already reserved one of the shelves for my phones that will not be in use. You guys have some great displays!

Dennis Markham

Stephen, I can't tell you how many times I've looked at your photos and can't take my eye off those 302's in color.  That is a great collection of 302's!  I have only one---Rose Pink---with some repaired damage, but it has excellent color.  Guess I'm going to have to save my pennies and start SERIOUSLY looking for the colored 302's.  I always "watch" them on eBay but once they're out of my radar range I move on.  Yours are very nice!

Jester

I enjoy having those 302s and can understand why anyone who admires colored phones would enjoy looking at them or even having their own.  It's also nice to have dedicated space for their display, and I like that this case is roomy enough that I can put many styles side by side to compare/contrast. 

Speaking of shelves, the following pics. show a stick period wall shelf I bought as a birthday present to myself 10 years ago.  I still haven't installed it--this house was supposed to be temporary, but you know how that goes.  Notice the grill panel pattern was made with a coping saw--jigsaws weren't a common sight in most Mom & Pop cabinet shops in the 30's.  Also notice this shelf never had a subset installed in it--no screw holes or a pass through for the subset cord.  Whatever sat on that shelf was mounted in plain site at the baseboard--go figure.
Stephen

AET

Well, I have my shelves up finally, here is a pic (not all my phones are on them)

- Tom

bellsystemproperty

I like your brown 500. It's interesting that you guys have shelves. All of my phones are scattered throughout the house hooked up  ;D, but i can see how that would be difficult in an apartment or smaller area.

AET

I have two hooked up.  A brown 500 on my dresser, and a black 500 next to my bed.  I have very limited space to play with.  One room.
- Tom

bellsystemproperty

Oh that's not as fun. You need to have at least 15 hooked up so that when the ring the windows shatter.  ;D My friend who has rotary phones has a neighbor who actually complained because the phones rang too loud. We ignored him.  ;D

AET

Ha, that's funny! Once I am all moved out and what-not.  I am going to have at least one phone per room hooked up and the rest on display.  That's half the fun of having them is having them up and working.
- Tom

bellsystemproperty

What you need is a PBX so you can make internal calls and transfers callers, and other fun things. The one I have works with rotary and touchtones phones. It's the Panasonic 616 Easa phone.

AET

I would love to do that if I had the cash.  It would be nice between the two floors of the house to communicate that easily.  And if my folks wanted to wake me for something, the sound of those bad boys ringing will do it!
- Tom