News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Won Item Cancelled by Seller and resold at Higher BIN

Started by Fabius, September 03, 2018, 09:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

I won a 1932 bronze Vail medal on eBay. I was the only bidder and got it for $210. Which is below what they usually go for ($240 -$280). When I went in the next day the transaction had been cancelled by the seller. I messaged him and he said he didn't know what happened. He said he didn't do it. But when I checked the completed item it said the seller listed one like it. I followed the link to that item and it was a completed buy it now sale at a higher price. I messaged him but got now response. He only has one transaction in his history.

I called the eBay support people. I was expecting to be connected to a call center in the Philippines but got a woman in Texas. She know exactly what had happened and said it happens frequently. She filled out and submitted a report for me.

https://tinyurl.com/ybobvkbv
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

poplar1

Can you leave feedback, or does that option go away when seller cancels a transaction?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Fabius

Quote from: poplar1 on September 03, 2018, 09:45:26 PM
Can you leave feedback, or does that option go away when seller cancels a transaction?

I tried to do that immediately but that option wasn't available.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Partyline4

A report will get you ugatz. You can leave feedback on the transaction still...I've had this happen to me as well. You CAN leave negative feedback. Just look for it under your purchase history, and it should be there. It could have been moved to canceled orders tab or some other area. Outside of leaving negative feedback, there's nothing else you can do.

Also, if he gets dinged that early in the eBay game, the account will be blacklisted, and he won't be able to make a name with the information he used last time for Paypal I believe.

Hope you get some buyers revenge.

Fabius

Thanks. I found where they hid the feedback area on this item.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

SunriseEarth

Yikes.   That's why I'm always a bit leery about buying from a new seller.   

I recently saw a Mickey Mouse Design Line phone with a $20 BIN plus $16 shipping.   I made a lower offer mainly due to the seller's 0% feedback at that time.   Someone else used BIN and hopefully had a successful sale. 
Tony Stokes

TCI Member; ATCA Member #4893

WEBellSystemChristian

Something very similar happened to us about 6-7 years ago. My Dad bid on an ATV on eBay and won it for the starting bid. The seller must have expected it to go for a higher price, so he canceled the sale, messaged my Dad that he suddenly couldn't sell it, then re-listed it behind his back 15 minutes later for a 20% higher starting bid. >:(
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Sargeguy

I have found eBay customer service to be really helpful when I accidentally won an item that I learned was misrepresented before I paid.  The seller ignored my requests to cancel the sale so I called eBay customer service and they were very helpful. I doubt they can force the seller to sell to you for the agreed bid, and I wouldn't want to deal with them anyway after this stunt.  eBay is in business to make money, and if the sale does not go through they do not get their cut, so they will probably do something to sanction the seller.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Pourme

~

EBAY SHOULD act. If this becomes pervasive it threatens the very core of what EBAY represents to it's customers.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Partyline4

Quote from: Pourme on September 05, 2018, 09:48:12 AM
~

EBAY SHOULD act. If this becomes pervasive it threatens the very core of what EBAY represents to it's customers.

Sounds like a good line to tell the cubscouts, but eBay wants more MONEY....nothing happens to sellers that use this practice....More money in eBay's pockets....You're right, though....

Pourme

Quote from: Partyline4 on September 05, 2018, 11:21:36 AM
Sounds like a good line to tell the cubscouts, but eBay wants more MONEY....nothing happens to sellers that use this practice....More money in eBay's pockets....You're right, though....

After all...If we as buyers continue to get knocked out of the saddle by sellers that didn't do proper planning when they create their listings, we may not continue bringing our money to the table.

That being said, the overwhelming majority of sellers play fair and by the rules & continue to give good service. I have bought a few pieces that I paid for quickly before they did back out!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Dan/Panther

I PM'd the seller and told him, "THAT IS NOT THE WAY WE DO BUSINESS ON eBay".

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Partyline4

Quote from: Pourme on September 05, 2018, 11:57:46 AM
After all...If we as buyers continue to get knocked out of the saddle by sellers that didn't do proper planning when they create their listings, we may not continue bringing our money to the table.

That being said, the overwhelming majority of sellers play fair and by the rules & continue to give good service. I have bought a few pieces that I paid for quickly before they did back out!

I agree. eBay was pretty bad with "shill" bidders for a while on phones - atleast with me it seemed!

It would always be by a 0 feedback bidder close to the ending....I hope they liked buying their own item!

There's too much room for sellers to cheat, still. I don't think they'll ever make it a sealed unit - this eBay.

tallguy58

Ebay has become a garbage garage sale. Gone are the days of quality collectibles at a good price.  Sure, you can still find gems out there but who has the time? Buy it now ruined that site. Great concept originally but greed killed it.
Cheers........Bill