News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

701B Princess Won't Break Dial Tone

Started by gands-antiques, November 11, 2015, 11:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gands-antiques

I have a 701B Princess that will not break dial tone. It has a continuous dial tone when I dial a number.

I checked the wiring with the TCI wiring diagram and don't see anything that stands out. It has a 4-prong plug with 6 conductors (several lose wires) and it didn't work so I bypassed it and connected a 2 conductor line cord to L1 & L2 but it still has a continuous dial tone. 

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary 

jsowers

Have you tried it with the dial loose from the base? It looks like you have a badly bent right-hand dial mount that could be shorting out your dial contacts or preventing it from pulsing. All it needs is to be bent back vertical.

If that's not the case, try subbing out another dial to see if it fixes the problem. These older Princess dials can suffer from lack of lubrication where it pulses and go "fast." You can temporarily use a dial from a 500 or 554. I assume you have a standard phone line from the phone company and not a cable modem using VOIP.
Jonathan

gands-antiques

Thanks.  I bent the mount so I could access the contacts on the network.  It wasn't working before I bent it and it's not shorted. This dial was sluggish and I cleaned and oiled it.  I will try another dial and see how it does. I've got a standard phone line and keep a working 102 B1 connected all of the time.   

Thanks again,
Gary
Quote from: jsowers on November 11, 2015, 12:10:50 PM
Have you tried it with the dial loose from the base? It looks like you have a badly bent right-hand dial mount that could be shorting out your dial contacts or preventing it from pulsing. All it needs is to be bent back vertical.

If that's not the case, try subbing out another dial to see if it fixes the problem. These older Princess dials can suffer from lack of lubrication where it pulses and go "fast." You can temporarily use a dial from a 500 or 554. I assume you have a standard phone line from the phone company and not a cable modem using VOIP.

gands-antiques

jsowers,

I started looking at the dial again before changing it out and I found the small tang was caught in the down position on the contacts arm so I moved it to the vertical position (shown in picture) and now the dial dials out perfectly. 

Thanks a lot for your help...
Gary

jsowers

Good deal! Sometimes it takes a little detective work. Hopefully it will work fine now.
Jonathan