News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

4H dial mounting screw size?

Started by Bill, March 11, 2011, 11:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

I bought a 4H dial, and didn't notice that it had no mounting screws. These are the three little screws that secure the dial to (in my case) a B-1 base. Can anyone tell me what size these screws are?

I notice that OPW carries "dial mounting screws", which are described as 4-36. Can that be right? That is a pretty uncommon size (4-40 is common), and there is no chance that I will find 4-36 at any of the local big box stores. Even my specialty nut-and-bolt store (Copper State Nut and Bolt) doesn't have them.

OPW sells their "dial mounting screws" in a box of 100 for $20. Since I need only 3, I hesitate to go that route. Has anyone found that a hobby store carries tiny things like this? Any other ideas, short of re-tapping the dial body to a 4-40?

Thanks for any wisdom.

Bill

Dennis Markham

Bill, I believe that is correct.  Send me a personal message with your address and I'll send you 3.  I bought a box of those from a collector on the ATCA list serve a while back.  I'd be glad to send you what you need.  They are the rounded head screws and I believe that size is correct (4-36).  I'm sure they're not found at the local hardware store.  That collector was just offering them up again but I don't remember the price.

Dennis Markham

I just double-checked.  The screws are 4-36 and 3/8 length (round head).  They are nickel or chrome plated brass, $12 plus shipping for 100.  I know you don't need 100, just 3...so I have three here with your name on them.

cihensley@aol.com

4-36 was commonly used in old WECo phones. In addition to dials, they were used to hold the number frame on old intercom sets. They are used to hold the cross bar on 3XX series transmitters. In the latter case, the length is 3/16". The 1/4" and 3/8" are commercially available. I have not found a source for 4-36 in 3/16" length. Not wanting to put small washers under the head (over 3/16" bottoms out) I cut down a longer length to 3/16".

Chuck

wds

I have also been looking for those screws.  Could either of you disclose your source for these screws?  I've looked at all my local hardware stores, and can't find that thread size.  I don't need 100, but I'm sure over time I'll use them all, so I don't mind buying quantity.
Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 11, 2011, 11:21:08 AM
I just double-checked.  The screws are 4-36 and 3/8 length (round head).  They are nickel or chrome plated brass, $12 plus shipping for 100.  I know you don't need 100, just 3...so I have three here with your name on them.
Dave

Dennis Markham

Dave, I think Bill indicated at the start of this thread that Oldphoneworks has them for $20 plus shipping.  I can ask the guy on the ATCA list if he has more and is willing to sell them to non-members for his $16 price.  Perhaps you are a member there.

cihensley@aol.com

The collector that sells them is Dick Pitzer - rpitzer@woh.rr.com  He sells both 1/4" and 3/8". Commercially you can obtain the same lengths from http://tinyurl.com/4gguh5k

Chuck

RDP

It never ceases to amaze me why manufacturers do this, must be something about the cheapest price from vendors.
As some of you know, I restore antique electric fans also and GE's are known for their Cockamamie sizes like that. And most are brass screws that cant be found so you need a buddy with a lathe to make them for you. I reckon that's just part of the reason why I shy away from most GE's.

TallahasseeTom

I just bought one small advertised packet of 3 screws from OPW for a few dollars at the most. They seem to have reliable merchandise. Had one problem with bad 557 and they are sending replacement.

rdelius

AE dials also use 4-36 screws
Robby

Wallphone

I agree with Robby that the AE dials made for an AE phone take the 4-36. But I have found some AE Type dials like the ones used in the Military TP-6-A "Toaster Phone" (Signal Corps Dial TA-45C/GT) that take the more common 4-40. And you can never be sure that someone before you didn't already re-tap the hole for something different than a 4-36. It would be best to have both sizes in your stash.
Doug Pav

wds

I finally got around to ordering those 4-36 screws from the website Chuck provided, (see below), but they didn't have any of the 3/8" on the website.  After calling them, and poking around, I found that they do have that length, under part # KF-466 qty 25, or F-466-C qty 100 - $12.75.  If you want that length, you'll have to call them to place the order.  

http://www.electronicplus.com/content/productpage.asp?maincat=ha&subcat=hme
Dave

Jester

I was fortunate enough to find a 4-36 thread die @ a local flea many years ago.  I have run many 4-40 screws(courtesy of Radio Shack) through it, & they work just fine on my old WE dials.  If anyone is interested in these "doctored" screws, PM me.  I'm sure we can work out something.
Stephen

slimjim

Lionel used the same screws to mount the train bodies to the chassis.4-36X3/8. You can buy then on eBay. Just type in lionel train screws.

slimjim
Jim McDermott
North Smithfield R.I.