News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rotary Western Electric Candlestick 2AA dial.

Started by tell302man, October 19, 2015, 07:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tell302man

Found this Sat at an antique store priced 135 dollars. I asked for 15 percent off and got it. Total was 114 dollars and a few cents. Has a 2 AA dial and has had a few small parts that the paint has been removed. I have never seen a brass mouthpiece like this one and have no idea of it is old.

tell302man

rdelius

WE did make a solid brass mouthpeice for a mine telephone.It was painted black and might not get noticed

tell302man

It is interesting as it fits perfect. I have purchased phones from the man who collected these phones in the past. He liked to brass out certain parts like the name plate and the switch hook as seen on this one. I am guessing it is an original brass mouth piece.

Phonesrfun

Probably not original to the phone itself.  They used hard rubber, then later used Bakelite for the mouthpieces.  Rdelius has indicated that painted brass was used for a certain application (mines), but not for offices or homes that I know of.  It was probably brassed out and transferred to the phone you have.
-Bill G

tell302man

I was thinking the same thing about the mouthpiece. I thought this was a really good deal on the phone.

unbeldi

True WECo mouth pieces had a star in the center of the holes in the sound grid, at least on the hard rubber parts.

Compatible mouth pieces of various materials, including metals and glass, were made by very many after-market suppliers, touting various benefits, including hygienic maintenance.

WEBellSystemChristian

I believe Doug Rose has a WE stick that has all brass parts, including a watchcase style receiver and armored cord, plus a brass mouthpiece similar to this:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11558
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

Christian....if you look closely at the holes in my mouth piece they seem off center, I have replaced it with a bakelite mp. The threads are WE, but I am not sure. It has some nickel on it, but mostly brass.

I still have it if anyone is interested...Doug
Kidphone