News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Anyone recognize this porcelain wall phone? Is it AE?

Started by axil, October 27, 2015, 04:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

axil

Anyone recognize this porcelain wall phone?

Says AE co. ltd Liverpool on inside.

Also says "Made in USA" on handset.

Appears to be missing components inside as well??

thx in advance

Jack Ryan

The case was originally made by Siemens Brothers in the UK.

http://www.britishtelephones.com/siemensb/366.htm

ATM also made a (slightly different) version of the case containing different electrics. Your telephone has the wrong handset - that handset is a US AE Type 41.

If it is original, it is made of Bakelite. There was never(1) a porcelain version. It was not used by the GPO in the UK (or the PMG in Australia) but it was widely used by utilities such as railways. I'm not sure but it may have been used by independents in Canada as well.

Your phone has been gutted except for the dial. If the dial is an ATM Type 24C it is probably original.

(1) I have never seen or heard of a porcelain version and I have never seen documentation suggesting that one exists.

Regards
Jack

axil

Thx for your reply Jack. Ironically I was just on the link you posted as I also have a 366.  :o

From what I can tell this was porcelain enamelled (as its definitely metal) at some point probably prior to switching handsets as they sure match.

A lot the Siemens were used in the prairies in Canada from what I've been told.

Jack Ryan

Speaking of "never" - I have never seen a metal version of that phone. The first of the Neophones were metal but I have not seen a metal 366 and never an ATM metal version. It may have been a ship phone or intrinsically safe phone.

There were a lot of British phones used in Canada. Many of then were shipped there after WW2 as the local and US manufacturers could not keep up. Most seem to have been Ericsson but there were also ATM (including switches), Peel Conner and others. Most of the phones used in Canada have SB dials (No 8 and No 10).

Regards
Jack

axil

I think your on to something Jack! That may also explain the enamel coating.
The phone may have been used in a hazardous or high corrosive area?

axil

For what its worth here's the difference:

Jack Ryan

Thanks, that's ATM (top) and SB (bottom).

Here is the ATM Bakelite phone. It looks pretty close the the metal case.

Jack

TelePlay

EDIT NOTE:  Since this seems to be a very interesting topic that adds something new to the forum, or if not new, at least current, I converted the externally linked images to jpg images and added them to the topic  below the externally linked versions.

The reason, for long term posterity. Why? Read this topic at the link below and then click on the link within the first post to see why it is preferable, highly desirable, to post photos directly to the forum instead of using links to images stored in external sites.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11610.0

That restoration topic would have been useful to many had it not been the case that the images stored at an external site no longer exists.

axil

Thx John from now on I will post images to forum...

So ATM made metal cases as well as bakelite?

I'm still curious as to where the AE co. ltd comes in?

AE_Collector

ATM at Liverpool was the British manufacturing arm of AECo of the USA.

Some of the telephones they manufactured looked identical to North American AE models though the insides were usually very different.

Terry

PS: thanks for being diligent with the pictures John.

axil

thx Terry so have you seen one like this before or do you figure someone kind of customized it?