News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Imperial 202

Started by zingaro, April 09, 2012, 11:51:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zingaro

did that anniversary edition of the 202 come with a painted f handset or was it the ivory plastic?
zingarofunkart
atca# 1463

LarryInMichigan

I think that the answer is yes.  Most I have seen have painted bakelite handsets, but some have ivory plastic.

Larry

deedubya3800

BSP calls for a painted handset if a pre-war plastic handset isn't available because the post-war F1• handset may not be heavy enough to completely disengage the hookswitch, though I've never personally had that problem.

HowardPgh

This is my Imperial. It came with a painted handset with U1 & T1 elements, and a matching color 684 subset.
Howard

paul-f

Quote from: deedubya3800 on April 10, 2012, 09:26:44 PM
BSP calls for a painted handset if a pre-war plastic handset isn't available because the post-war F1• handset may not be heavy enough to completely disengage the hookswitch, though I've never personally had that problem.

Which BSP?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

TelePlay

Quote from: HowardPgh on April 27, 2012, 03:03:57 PM
This is my Imperial. It came with a painted handset with U1 & T1 elements, and a matching color 684 subset.

As did mine but it didn't come with the soft center fingerwheel, which I am finding a difficult item to locate.

K1WI

Hi Folk, 
   I have six Imperials and all have ivory plastic handsets . Most are F1* but have one F4* and an unusual sold F1 (early type) made of ivory plastic .  Not sure if it was just my luck , but have never had an ivory painted F1 handset . I do have an early I / 1937 painted 302 in gold with a painted solid brown bakelite handset.
  I believe I have seen a BSP refferencing a different switch hook "pile up" when using the light weight handsets. I'll see if I can find it.  It is also important to remember that BSPs were constantly ( and I mean connstantly) upgraded and corrected.  Anyone that worked in a Bell CO can attest to that , I remember almost monthly receiving box after box (big boxes) of new issues of BSPs , and remember as "junior man" it was my job to update the binders.  I also recollect that occassionaly there were multiple changes to the same BSP in the same month!

Also wanted to say thanks to everyone on this forum , it has to be the best place for early phone information anywhere.

ANDY  K1WI
Andy F    K1WI

Doug Rose

Andy....Welcome to the Forum. We need to see more pictures of your collection....Doug
Kidphone

K1WI

Doug,
   Thanks for the welcome , I was a memeber in the past but off for a while mending from a serious injury.  Actually I think I've been an e-bay customer of yours!    Spent almost 35 years as a CO tech (switchman) or equipment installer before taking an " early retirement" .   Had several careers since ..looking foward to my next chapter in life.
  Started an eclectic collection of sorts ..always had an eye for the "odd ball" or one-off phones.   Contrary to what many people feel the Bell System was very creative using what they had on hand , and not always following thier own pratices to the letter of the BSPs. 
  Again thanks for the welcome (back).

Andy    K1WI
Andy F    K1WI

Doug Rose

Andy...I knew I recognized your handle. Glad to have you back...Doug
Kidphone

Phonesrfun

Andy:

Welcome.  Always good to have some more hams around.  :)

-Bill
KD7PTG
-Bill G

deedubya3800

Quote from: paul-f on April 27, 2012, 03:05:48 PM
Quote from: deedubya3800 on April 10, 2012, 09:26:44 PM

Which BSP?

A plant memorandum C32.203 Issue A tells all about the lightweight thermoplastic F1• handset. I found it a very fascinating read when I first came across it as I have all four versions mentioned: The "phenol plastic" (Bakelite) F1, the pre-war thermoplastic F1, the post-war thermoplastic F1•, and a painted "phenol plastic" F1.

paul-f

Thanks for the reference and link.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Phonesrfun

That's interesting.  I had never noticed the dot before.  I have both a 302 and a 354, both post war, both ivory thermoplastic shells and both with F1 • hollow thermoplastic handsets.

Now I need to look at the hookswitches on these to see what makes them different from the older design which were used with  the phenol handset.
-Bill G