News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

oldphoneworks website

Started by Babybearjs, July 10, 2016, 05:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

does anyone know whats going on with OPW's website? every time I try to go to their parts page, I get a "File Not Found" error... are they having problems with their website or is it the browser?  I'm running Windows 10 and  the new browser acts like it has problems...but Firefox is giving me the same results. 
John

Kenton K

Seems to be working for me. I'm using chrome.

TelePlay

I had an issue with them with trying to get to me cart last week or even do a search or browse their items. Was back and forth with emails to them, they responded quickly, and I was first asked to try a different browser. Was using Firefox so tried EI, didn't help. Then they told me to clear our my cache, my cookies and temporary files. After that, it worked and I had no further problems with their site. The person who I was working with said they also had issues and clearing out the machine had worked for them also. Don't know why or what but how worked for me and haven't had a problem since.

Ktownphoneco

I'm running MS Windows 10 with MS Edge, their new browser.      I'm also running Google Chrome and Firefox.       Every time MS provides an update to Win 10, I hold my breath until I see what the updates do to my web browsers.      After the last update, I'm having inconsistent problems with both MS Edge, and Chrome.       If MS Edge can't load a web page, it has a fit and shuts down completely.     I'm bouncing between all 3 browsers at the moment, depending on what I'm doing.      Right now, I'm not having any issues with the OPW web site using MS Edge, but after the next Win 10 update, that could easily change.   Firefox seems to work well on a regular basis at the moment, but another MS Win 10 update could throw that into chaos as well.

Jeff Lamb

Babybearjs

I'll try clearing out the history and cache... this makes me mad because I can't do business online with them.... it seems that they need to upgrade their software as well.... that might be causing issues as well....
John

Phonesrfun

works fine for me.  Did you double-check your typing of  oldphoneworks.com  as the address?
-Bill G

Babybearjs

yeh, the address is right.... went to the home page, gave it a few minutes and was able to get the parts page OK... I'm going to check my ISP.... I don't know whats going on, but things are acting slow.... after a few moments the page came up with no problem.... for some reason my browser won't navigate right.... when on my home page, if I'm trying to type something in the search bar.... the browser is unresponsive and won't enter the keys I'm pressing...weird.....
John

TelePlay

Do you do maintenance on you computer regularly? Sounds like a fragmented computer with low memory. Do you clean out clutter, fix bad or broken registry code, check for viruses, defragment the hard drive, clear the caches, stuff like that? It may be your ISP but it may be your computer.

Ever since I cleared the cookies and cache, I've had no problem getting into the OPW site.

Bill

Hmm. Just for yucks, I typed oldphoneworks.com into my browser's address bar. The site came right up. Button by button, I started working my way across the site's link bar.

Home: OK
Antique phones: OK
Antique parts: File not found
Designer series: File not found
Movies and TV: OK
DIY: OK

Then I started again from the left, hitting the buttons in order. And this time, they all worked.

I'm no computer guru, but this doesn't sound like a browser problem to me.

Windows 7 Home Premium
Firefox 47.0

Bill

TelePlay

Quote from: Bill on July 15, 2016, 10:04:44 AM
Hmm. Just for yucks, I typed oldphoneworks.com into my browser's address bar. The site came right up. Button by button, I started working my way across the site's link bar.

Home: OK
Antique phones: OK
Antique parts: File not found
Designer series: File not found
Movies and TV: OK
DIY: OK

Then I started again from the left, hitting the buttons in order. And this time, they all worked.

I'm no computer guru, but this doesn't sound like a browser problem to me.

Windows 7 Home Premium
Firefox 47.0

I just did the same thing and I found no problems with each button moving from right to left and then left to right using the list above.

W7
Firefox 47.0.1

Jack Ryan

I get the same problem with W10 Pro and Chrome. It is the WEB site - apparently the default file to open in the specified path can't be found.  "home.php" is listed as not found as that was the last tried name in the list. It is usually the pages with many links that fail.

Once it sorts itself out it works until next time when it may or may not work.

Jack

rbouch

The site periodically seems to run into certificate errors. Even then they seem to be browser dependent.

I find if I email them a screenshot of the problem it's fixed pretty quickly.

They're good guys and always respond back via email as well,