News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE34 base

Started by jwurbel, December 06, 2014, 12:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwurbel

i have an AE 34 which the handset is bakelite but I'm pretty sure the base is plastic.  The handset came out well but before I start to redo the base can anyone tell me for sure if the base is really plastic?  I have used some Novus 2 sparingly on it and it has brought back some shine.  However there seems to be some sort of discoloration under the surface.  It isn't everywhere but mostly on the back.  Obviously I am a novice and I don't want to make a mess.  Thanks for any replies.

Doug Rose

base is bakelite...Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Quote from: jwurbel on December 06, 2014, 12:23:35 PM
However there seems to be some sort of discoloration under the surface.  It isn't everywhere but mostly on the back.

Can you post some pictures of the area? I realize black is hard to photograph so post a few from different angles.

Slal

Doug & "Teleplay" obviously have *far* more experience than I do, but for future reference if uncertain.

To tell difference in plastic or bakelite, sure fire test buried in "Restoring Bakelite" topic I believe.

If in doubt, one member suggested a "hot pin" test.

The idea is that a glowing, red hot straight pin (or soldering iron) will easily melt plastic while it don't put a dent in bakelite.

A bit of debate, so a member took soldering iron to inconspicuous place on phone part he was believed was bakelite not plastic.   

"Wallah!" soldering iron melted the plastic, so he retracted his statement.  End of debate!

Best & happy holidays

--Bruce

AE40FAN

It's bakelite.  That "discoloration"  is probably what I call the marbalized or swirly effect that happens to a lot of these AE bakelite bodies.  It seems to be most apparent on the back of the phone and does not affect the shine.  Almost as if the black faded...Not sure if it a factory flaw or happens over time with environmental factors.

jwurbel

Thanks to all who took the time to respond.  I think I have enough information to proceed. 
Happy Holidays to all!

Jim