News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Comedian Soupy Sales dead at 83.

Started by Bill Cahill, October 23, 2009, 11:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

Anybody here remember the Soupy Sales show?
It was a great kids' show, that also impressed the grown-ups.
He was on tv many years, and, radio as well.
He will be sorely missed.....  :'(
RIP Soupy.....  :'(
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dennis Markham

Bill, I did see that on the news this morning.  Because he started here in Detroit it was topical on the local news today.  For those of you that didn't know Soupy he had a children's TV show that was on at noon, probably in the late 50's.

Here is one story about it, there are others.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33442972/?gt1=43001

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
He also had a show here in Los Angeles, that was not quite a childrens show, well it was but he had many hidden jokes.
I never missed his show, I for one will miss him.
Reminisce Magazine, posted his New York Address a couple years ago, and said he would love to hear from readers. I wrote requesting an autographed photo, and never got a response.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

I recall one story from his show, I don't know if it was when it was local or if when he had gone nationwide.  He told all the little boys and girls in TV land to go in mommy's purse and take out one of these pieces of paper with the President's photo (holding up a dollar bill) and mail it to him.  The lore goes that thousands of kids sent him a dollar.  Have to go to snopes.com to check that one.

Dennis Markham

Wait!  Stop the presses.  Here's the real story, straight from the Horse's mouth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-OGy3Kh7yM

rp2813

Yeah, when I think of Soupy, I think of pies and Jell-O.  He was appointment TV every Saturday for this boomer.
Ralph