new GPO 706 two tone

Started by Tom B, March 17, 2011, 06:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom B

Hey Scot
Just looking for the black version at the right price now ;D
Tom

Tom B

Well - here's the two tone grey and brown. I 've done the conversion wiring and it works well apart from when connected to an ADSL filter when I can hear the pulses while dialing. Something new to learn....
Tom

gpo706

Nice pics.

May I be so impudent to ask if its a Frankenphone, or do you think the differing greys on the set are due to "sun weathering" and the different plastics used?

Also the fingerwheel might be a repro, its a lot more sharp/straight around the edges and fingerholes, I have a few of these I have fitted to 700s in place of clear ones, they are excellent but any original ones I managed to get are slightly more rounded off.

The repro dial card makes me think it might be a repro wheel as well.

So what colours are you looking for now to complete the set? LOL

S.

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Tom B

Hi Scot
I think the majority of differing shades are due to sun weathering. The phone appears to be a 1962 model. The dial card was put in by me - I had a couple of new repro spares lying around. The 'original' was under the opal - an 01 London number.

Colours? Don't get me started ;)
Tom

GG

If there are repro fingerwheels in colored plastic that are that good, I'd like to know where to get them.

I have a couple of 706s around that could use some spare parts like that.  Also handset cords, base feet, and so on. 

Owain

I doubt it's repro, but it might have been 'frankenphoned' from a non-GPO PBX extension phone dial.

gpo706

Quote from: GG on March 28, 2011, 02:53:10 AM

If there are repro fingerwheels in colored plastic that are that good, I'd like to know where to get them.

I have a couple of 706s around that could use some spare parts like that.  Also handset cords, base feet, and so on. 

Here's the folks to see:

http://www.abdyantiques.co.uk

http://www.gpospares.co.uk

http://antiquetelephones.co.uk

gpo706

Quote from: Tom B on March 26, 2011, 07:14:37 PM
Well - here's the two tone grey and brown. I 've done the conversion wiring and it works well apart from when connected to an ADSL filter when I can hear the pulses while dialing. Something new to learn....

That's nothing to worry about, I get the clicks using my Pana 616, just enjoy it as an "aural" experience.

Doesn't affect your dialing out.

Tom B

Tom

Tom B

Here's the GPO family - numbers stable at the moment ;) All conversion wiring done, all ring beautifully, and will take their turns as daily drivers.
The laquer red phone did lose a little material when broken, but it glued back together well enough. I don't think I'll buy a replacement shell. It's 50 years old -we all have life scars.
Tom

AE_Collector

I have always wanted a pair of those two tones! Next time I'm in UK I'm going to try to find one of each. They were available in 706 and 746 models?

Terry

Owain

Quote from: AE_collector on April 09, 2011, 11:50:35 AM
I have always wanted a pair of those two tones! Next time I'm in UK I'm going to try to find one of each. They were available in 706 and 746 models?

Terry
Standard 706 colours

The 746 was identical. There were a few other colours for special purposes, marketing events etc.  A monotone brown 8746 was added in 1980-something when the Plug and Socket 8xxx versions were introduced.

Manufacturers may have also produced other colours for use on non-GPO private systems or for export. Telephone Rentals had an operation in New York that used standard 700-type telephones made by Ericsson Telephones Ltd.  These look identical to the UK product except that the number ring surrounding the dial has 6 MNO and 0 Operator markings.

gpo706

Hey - thats excellent repair job with the red, as you say a litttle scar, I can only see a slight scratch on the body, nice one!

The guy from gpospares.co.uk has e-mailed me back I asked for a quote on an alpha-numeric black finger wheel surround, a pair of dark and light green 706 blanking buttons, and a brown line cord, he says he will post the items on approval to myself, and prefers a cheque as he says Paypal are getting expensive in sellers fees.

Nice guy, he send the bits first and waits for a cheque, amazing service, recommended seller.

The green blank buttons complete my 706 green Frankenphone, the other bits used for some cosmetic jobs on a black and the 710 grey, which has a light grey (not brown) lead on it.

What I have been looking for is a Topaz Yeillow case kit to "redress" another 706 scrapper that works fine but needs a presentable body/handset.

gpo706

Just got a BIN black watch receiver and a black body swap case, so thats one scrapper sorted.

Tom B

Tom