"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Online swap meet

Started by Shovelhead, February 08, 2009, 01:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shovelhead

Just a idea, opinions please.

How about a online swap meet, where we list the date codes of the parts we have on our Frankenphones that make it a "mutt". And swap back and forth for the correct components. Possibly it will take a couple of swaps, back and forth, but it could work. We are a small group here, it's worth a try, I think.
Open to suggestions, will it or will it not work?

I think it would take a new section for this. Or it could be put in the classifieds on a trial basis with the subject line tagged Trade, Swap, whatever, just something to make it stand out from items for sale.

HobieSport

Sounds good to me.  Ask Mark what he thinks about it.  Just think, maybe we could turn lots of Frankenphones into matching dates phones.  Of course, they wouldn't be factory originals...

Of course we do already have the classified section and swaps could go there so maybe a new swap section isn't really needed... 

BTW I haven't seen Mark posting lately.  Hey Mark, have you found a new movie clip for the next contest yet?  Hmmm?  That last contest was really fun. :)

BDM

Interesting idea if you have to have the correctly dated phone.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Shovelhead

Quote from: HobieSport on February 08, 2009, 01:28:02 AM
Sounds good to me.  Ask Mark what he thinks about it.  Just think, maybe we could turn lots of Frankenphones into matching dates phones.  Of course, they wouldn't be factory originals...
I still like frankenphones, also, as they have their own interesting histories...
The only time I've swapped parts so far is I bought a couple of AE40 chrome band handset caps to put on a chrome dial AE40, and voila, instant AE40 chrome "Deluxe" model for cheaper than getting one on Ebay.
But anyway, a forum swap section sounds really good useful and could be fun, too,
IMHO. :)
I agree about it not being factory original. But in my case now. I'm trying to get the 8/52 WE 500 as close to original as I can. I actually wanted a 2/52 phone, I'll still watch for one, but this will do for now.

So, I'll wait for a few more responses and opinions before a formal request.

Dan/Panther

It might work, we would have to work out details.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Mark Stevens

Quote from: HobieSport on February 08, 2009, 01:28:02 AM

Of course we do already have the classified section and swaps could go there so maybe a new swap section isn't really needed... 

BTW I haven't seen Mark posting lately.  Hey Mark, have you found a new movie clip for the next contest yet?  Hmmm?  That last contest was really fun. :)

I'm thinking, I'm thinking!  Actually, the thinking part hasn't started, as the tubes haven't warmed up yet.  ;) I can see the merits of promoting some sort of parts exchange, but the logistics of it could be a challenge.
I'll probably wait a couple more weeks before the next contest starts. After all, I have a finite number of phones!