and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How's this for an Ebay "Barn Find"

Started by wds, November 02, 2014, 12:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Dave

TelePlay

Wow, got to be a hundred kilos of fertilizer included on this low mileage, only driven to church on Sunday by a little old lady from Surrey.

Started at £99.00 and 7 bidders ran it up to £264. Wonder how high it would have sold if this was a genuine Bell-Tel vehicle?

Out of my range, the shipping would kill me . . . ;)

Anyway, seems they messed up when building this one, the steering wheel is on the wrong side, or is the picture flipped horizontally?

Have at me, twocvbkloke . . .  I know you can't resist!

wds

Sorry about that - forgot to post pictures.  Wonder if any of the barn find phones I've purchased were once covered in bird poop like this. 
Dave

twocvbloke

Quote from: TelePlay on November 02, 2014, 12:33:59 PMAnyway, seems they messed up when building this one, the steering wheel is on the wrong side, or is the picture flipped horizontally?

Have at me, twocvbkloke . . .  I know you can't resist!

The steering wheel's on the correct side of the car, but I think the steering wheel location ain't the problem, I think it'll need a bit more than a wash & wax to restore that poo car to factory...  :o

Oddly enough, that car isn't (or wasn't, assuming it's been moved by now) far from me, only about 9 miles away, though I wouldn't even consider buying something like that, mostly because it's probably a health hazard as it is... :o

As for the car itself, looks like a W123-series Mercedes 200 (2 Litre petrol, depending on engine model it's either 93 or 108 horses), not particularly a powerhouse, assuming they can get it running again after they give it the Andrex treatment... ;D

WesternElectricBen

It's so grimy, I cannot tell what engine it has.

Ben

Dan/Panther

I don't know how long it's been sitting, but if you study the photos, it's really in very good shape, under all the poo. If that back window had not been broken the interior would look very nice.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Steve

Quote from: Dan/Panther on November 02, 2014, 06:04:20 PM
I don't know how long it's been sitting, but if you study the photos, it's really in very good shape, under all the poo. If that back window had not been broken the interior would look very nice.
D/P

You just love a challenge, don't ya :)
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

twocvbloke

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on November 02, 2014, 05:43:33 PM

Easy to deduce, on the back it says "200", no letters to indicate a specific variant, two engine series were used on the W123 body 200, the M115 and the M102, comparing the images of the two series using Google Images, the M102 physically matched the engine fitted in this car, so using the model history of the car's lineage, it's a 2 Litre 108 Horsepower M102.920 engine (not available in the US)...

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Dan/Panther on November 02, 2014, 06:04:20 PM
D/P
Probably not bad for £200, since there isn't any rust, but I bet you can say goodbye to that paint. Bird crap has a lot of acids in it, and the paint is probably destroyed from that!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on November 02, 2014, 07:28:07 PM
Probably not bad for £200, since there isn't any rust, but I bet you can say goodbye to that paint. Bird crap has a lot of acids in it, and the paint is probably destroyed from that!

I'd also add say goodbye to anything not metal. The seats, interior, dash panel, wires, filters, etc. The smell those would give off with closed windows and the heat on would be eye watering, and not healthy. Even engine components not metal might have to be replaced. I'd think if someone wanted to restore it to drive, all non-metal parts on the interior would have to be stripped out and the metal sanitized/fumigated. Knew a guy who bought a Corvette a few decades ago which had a similar interior and sat through only one winter in it's "contaminated" condition. Took months to get the smell out of the metal after the interior was stripped clean. How many years of poo are on this car? Local auto scrap yards would give $300 no questions asked for the metal as found. $415 for that car is not much more than that, scrap value. It would be interesting to find out what the buyer will do with it and how much money they will make over costs.

AE_Collector

Ben

Internal combustion.....I think.

Terry

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: AE_Collector on November 02, 2014, 10:28:41 PM

Ben

Internal combustion.....I think.

Terry

Yeah.. I'm about 99.9 percent sure it's diesel, especially as it was found in Europe.

Ben

twocvbloke

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on November 02, 2014, 10:30:48 PMYeah.. I'm about 99.9 percent sure it's diesel, especially as it was found in Europe.

I'm 100% sure it's not, diesel models were the 250D and 300D, that and the engine under the bonnet is visibly a petrol engine, just because it's "in europe" doesn't mean it's a diesel... ::)

I'll just quote the facts I posted earlier, just cos you missed them:

Quote from: twocvbloke on November 02, 2014, 07:04:16 PM

Easy to deduce, on the back it says "200", no letters to indicate a specific variant, two engine series were used on the W123 body 200, the M115 and the M102, comparing the images of the two series using Google Images, the M102 physically matched the engine fitted in this car, so using the model history of the car's lineage, it's a 2 Litre 108 Horsepower M102.920 engine (not available in the US)...

twocvbloke

Looks like it's been relisted:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161471666889

I'm half tempted to go view it in person, but, ain't got the money to get there at the moment... ::)

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on November 03, 2014, 08:17:18 AM
Looks like it's been relisted:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161471666889

Wonder what happened to the first sale? Buyer showed up and walked away due to the smell?  . . . due to the ???

Been standing for 20 years, seller says. Wonder if it would even turn over, even with a fresh battery? Big question, why was it parked there in the first place, and more importantly, what's in the boot? No pictures of that, for some reasion . . .   ::)