News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lamp Phone Atrocities!

Started by Greg G., May 06, 2009, 12:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AET

I saw this earlier, why do people turn good phones into lamps?
- Tom

AE_Collector

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on May 18, 2010, 02:19:47 AM
I saw this earlier, why do people turn good phones into lamps?

I know it seems rediculous to deface a nice phone by making it into a lamp. However, if most of these phone lamps hadn't been turned into lamps, they would be long gone now.

Turning it into something usefull at the time (since it was no longer usefull as a phone) is why it is still around now to potentially be restored. Had it been recycled for the metal, it would probably be parked in one of our garages right now with Hyundai or Kia badges on it.

Terry

bwanna

we all gasp in horror  :o, but terry is probably right. if this phone hadn't been turned into something "useful" it would have been in a scrap heap long ago. a gal was describing to me a 3 slot payphone that her husband had. the best thing about it she said, was that he had turned it into a lamp! ::)
donna

AET

Not mine! I only buy American :)

Quote from: ae_collector on May 18, 2010, 02:48:49 AM

it would probably be parked in one of our garages right now with Hyundai or Kia badges on it.

Terry
- Tom

Bill Cahill

:o It also seems to be missing parts. Bells are there, but, where is the solonoid?
Where are the other wires connecting things? What else is missing?
The mouth piece is also broken....  :(
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Jim Stettler

I think a collector bought this phone/lamp and probably can get the parts to compleate it (into a phone).
All things considered, I think they got a nice price.

I have always liked the style of the short McKinley. It is a hard phone to buy anymore.

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

Seller said he was offered 2K for it, but decided to let the auction ruin. I'd guess he is kicking himself right now.....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Just found this on CraigsList and had to share it ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

bingster

Actually, I've always wanted one of those meter lamps. I think they're kinda awesome. 
= DARRIN =

Doug Rose

Quote from: bingster on October 01, 2010, 09:31:16 AM
Actually, I've always wanted one of those meter lamps. I think they're kinda awesome.  
I have one and it is superb!....Doug
Kidphone

KeithB

I worked with electrical cooperatives around the nation throughout the 1980s and saw more of those lamps made from old meters than you'd ever believe.  After so many swapouts and refurbs, even the oldest meters get retired, and that's what happens to the lucky ones.  ;)  (The rest are scrapped.)

HarrySmith

Well, I guess, as has been said here before, better a lamp than a landfill ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

paul-f

Another lamp maker favorite is fire extinguishers.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jim Stettler

I have a Junior Achiechment electric meter lamp.
The guy that I got my step switch lamp from, got the idea for it from the JA meter lamps.

Jim
BTW I did pick up a AE 40 lamp yesterday.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Jim S. on October 01, 2010, 04:44:50 PM
I have a Junior Achiechment electric meter lamp.
The guy that I got my step switch lamp from, got the idea for it from the JA meter lamps.

Jim
BTW I did pick up a AE 40 lamp yesterday.

We're going to need a picture of the Strowger Switch Lamp....

Terry