"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My New Dutch PTT Standard Telefoon

Started by LarryInMichigan, October 18, 2009, 02:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 18, 2009, 02:25:05 PM
Here are pictures of my new PTT Standard phone.

I just noticed your phone isn't a "bowling ball" phone like mine.  In all other respects, it's the same.  I paid around $12-13 for mine, which included shipping.  The dial makes a nice "clickity" sound, and although there's no static, a friend said I sounded "tinny" when I talked on it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

Brinybay,

My guess is that the holes in the back of your phone were drilled to allow someone to insert their fingers so that they could carry the phone.  One annoying aspect of this phone is that it has nothing to grab, so carrying it is awkward.  I imagine that a previous owner grew tired of dropping it, so they drilled finger holes in the spot where a handle would be on a north American phone.

dsk,

Your phone may have been made in Norway.  I have read that the phone in your other picture was a standard design which was manufactured by a number of companies in Europe and elsewhere.  This one was probably the same.  Mine has a "Made in Holland" sticker on the bottom, and the wiring diagram is in Dutch, so I can reasonably assume that it is Dutch made.  The dial on my phone seems to work well.

Larry

dsk

Mine is not made locally. If they made it here, the wiring digram would be in Norwegian, now the text are in English and french, or something looking like French for me. It could very well be a Belgian made phone. The marking on the terminals are in English.  T for transmitter.

To make the the confusion greater, Norwegian made telephones has been marked M for microphone (transmitter) and T for telephone (receiver.  The ringer terminal was marked K for klokke (bell) and sometimes you had a EK for extra ringer. I guess this has made many people make some mistakes.  It was not a must to understand English to work with telephones. 

The wiring diagram, was similar to telephones commonly used here since mid 30ies.  The wiring digram on your would normally be used on PABX's and shorter lines. 

dsk

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 21, 2009, 08:47:06 AM
Brinybay,

My guess is that the holes in the back of your phone were drilled to allow someone to insert their fingers so that they could carry the phone.  One annoying aspect of this phone is that it has nothing to grab, so carrying it is awkward.  I imagine that a previous owner grew tired of dropping it, so they drilled finger holes in the spot where a handle would be on a north American phone.

Larry

That's interesting.  If it's custom, they did a good job.  I took the cover off and examined the holes carefully, there are no raw edges.  I googled "Dutch PTT Telephone" to find some images of the backside of others, and low and behold, google brought me right back here to an old post with some good links:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=41.0
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

Take a look at the picture of the type 1954 phone on: http://www.telefoonmuseum.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47:1930-1960&catid=20:telefoons--telephones.  There is some sort of large object mounted on the rear.

Larry

mienaichizu

I forgot what they called it, its something like "Mother in law receiver"

Greg G.

Quote from: mienaichizu on October 22, 2009, 09:58:39 AM
I forgot what they called it, its something like "Mother in law receiver"

What was it's function?  That's my phone, except it doesn't have the white button on the front.  Only thing I did to it was install a jumper to get it to ring.  Here's Larry's phone and my phone for a comparison.  I can't see any difference, other than mine has a fine patine of dust.

- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

The purpose of the "mother-in-law" receiver was simply so someone else, perhaps even a nosey mother-in-law, could listen in on another's conversation.  Of course they would be standing or sitting right next to the person actually using the phone, so it was not like they were engaging in some covert activity.

Although I have seen pictures of ones on US phones such as the B and D mount Phones, they seem to have been used more in Europe than in the US.

-Bill
-Bill G

Greg G.

So it was another speaker attached?  I wonder if mine had one but it was removed, hence the two holes.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

I'm still sticking to the finger holes for carrying theory.

Phonesrfun

Yes, it was just a watchcase style receiver and a little holder that it fit in that was, in turn, attached to the back of the phone.  

What surprises me is that the holes in yours are so big, but I have never actually paid much attention to how the holder was attached, so I guess I cannot say whether the holes are unusually large or not.

The holder did not have a hookswitch, so I believe the receiver would have simply been wired in parallel with the handset receiver.
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Larry:

Absent the holes, would the phone have had a handle for carrying the phone around by, like a 302 or a 500?

-Bill G

LarryInMichigan

Bill,

No, the phone has absolutely nothing to grab to carry it like the 302/500, AE40/80, SC1243/1543, etc..  It is almost as if it were designed to prevent being carried.

Larry