News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Vern Potter is alive and well

Started by Phonesrfun, November 12, 2013, 01:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

I just had a nice chat with Vern.  He is still trying to get a computer going since Microsoft pulled the plug on his Web TV.  I told him we all missed him.  Milo Kellogg (his dog) is still with him, although she is 17 years old and slowing down. He is still looking for an ivory 1554.

-Bill G

HarrySmith

Are any of us near Vern's place??
Just a thought, maybe we could all chip in a dollar or two and have someone close by pick up a used basic computer from Salvation Army or some such and set it up for Vern??
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

ESalter

I think that's a great idea, Harry!  I'm quite a few area codes away, but I'd definitely be willing to contribute a few dollars if someone lives near Salt lake City.

---Eric

George Knighton

Glad he's doing well.  He was a big help to me getting started.
Annoying new poster.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 12, 2013, 09:17:37 AM
Are any of us near Vern's place??
Just a thought, maybe we could all chip in a dollar or two and have someone close by pick up a used basic computer from Salvation Army or some such and set it up for Vern??

I can't speak entirely for Vern, but I don't think it is that he can't afford a used computer, as much as it is that he just doesn't know what to buy and how to even set it up.  That is why he chose his "toy computer" (Web TV).

I think Vern's biggest issue is that he is not computer savvy.  An older computer with an old operating system that might require him to know his way around computers might be an issue for him.

It is very true that he only needs a basic browser so he can do forums and e-mail.  He probably needs someone locally to set him up and hold his hand innitially so he gets the feel for it.  Unfortunately, I am about 600 miles or 9 hours away from where he is.  He and I were talking last night of how few phone collectors there are near him.  He lives in Salt Lake City, UT.
-Bill G

wds

Sounds like he's a perfect candidate for one of those new Chromebooks.  I bought one for my kid, and it's actually pretty nice.  Nothing more than a browser - turn it on and go.
Dave

Phonesrfun

My grand daughter has one of those.  You may be right! 

She uses it for her homework, and the biggest drawback is that she had nothing that was compatible with MS Word, but Vern probably won't ever need Word.
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Does the Chromebook come with built-in virus protection?  Does it have a USB port or some way to get pictures off a camera?  I didn't pay that much attention to my grand daughter's computer.  Vern may never upload pictures, but I am curious if it has that ability.
-Bill G

wds

yes, it's a Google/Gmail browser, so it comes with all the Google/Gmail virus stuff.  Everything is on the Cloud, and it does come with the Google type Word and Excel programs.   I bought my kid the Chromebook 11, and it  has a couple usb ports, and a micro sim slot.  I think they have a newer version Chromebook 14 now for $299.  Very nice laptops for the money.  Most people seem to only serf the internet, so this is perfect for them (and Vern!).  Nice thing about google chrome is it sync's up all your favorites on all your computers. 
Dave

wds

Just remembered, I think it's wireless only - not sure if Vern has wireless or not.
Dave

Phonesrfun

Quote from: wds on November 12, 2013, 02:22:25 PM
Just remembered, I think it's wireless only - not sure if Vern has wireless or not.

Good point.  I don't know, but if not it is not hard for someone (probably not him) to set up.
-Bill G

xhausted110

I tried to give him a computer for the price of shipping, but a friend of his told him not to get it, because it was "too old"
- Evan

WesternElectricBen

Chrome books are nice, but they mostly rely on cloud storage, because of the fact he used his computer for more than 10 yrs, a chromebook wouldn't be the best choice, because after that he would have to start paying for storage.

Ben

wds

Everyone gets 15 gb of storage for free, which should hold all his pictures.  With the Chromebook you get another 100gb for free.  More than enough storage.  Since Vern now has 0 storage, I think the 15 gb, or the 115 gb to be adequate. 
Dave

paul-f

Does anyone have Chromebook experience?

The specs on some of the models I quickly checked seem to have a 16GB "solid state drive" and ports (HDMI and USB).  It should be possible to add a USB hard drive for local storage without paying for cloud rental.

Does Chrome OS have the usual Google Terms of Service which give Google rights to everything you read, write or think?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line