"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Vern Potter is alive and well

Started by Phonesrfun, November 12, 2013, 01:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: wds on November 12, 2013, 05:33:23 PM
Everyone gets 15 gb of storage for free, which should hold all his pictures.  With the Chromebook you get another 100gb for free.  More than enough storage.  Since Vern now has 0 storage, I think the 15 gb, or the 115 gb to be adequate. 

But you don't understand, the storage only lasts 4 years then he will have to pay every year for it.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: paul-f on November 12, 2013, 06:10:39 PM
Does anyone have Chromebook experience?

The specs on some of the models I quickly checked seem to have a 16GB "solid state drive" and ports (HDMI and USB).  It should be possible to add a USB hard drive for local storage without paying for cloud rental.

Does Chrome OS have the usual Google Terms of Service which give Google rights to everything you read, write or think?

I used one once at school, I had not instruction, but I myself figured everything out including creating an account, logging in, logging off, etc. But an add on drive is probably a good plan, though I'm not sure if it will work though? It should but you never know.

Ben

wds

Yes, I have one at home.  It works great, and is quick because of the 16 gb flash drive.  The 15 gb storage is free, forever.  The extra 100 gb is free for two years.  I figure the two years is enough - the chromebook is a throw away type laptop.  In two years, this one will be obsolete, and they are so cheap I would buy another, getting two more free years of 100 gb storage.  Even without the 100 gb extra storage, the 15 gb is more than enough for someone like Vern.  I doubt that he has much of a library of pictures. 
Dave

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: wds on November 12, 2013, 07:53:03 PM
Yes, I have one at home.  It works great, and is quick because of the 16 gb flash drive.  The 15 gb storage is free, forever.  The extra 100 gb is free for two years.  I figure the two years is enough - the chromebook is a throw away type laptop.  In two years, this one will be obsolete, and they are so cheap I would buy another, getting two more free years of 100 gb storage.  Even without the 100 gb extra storage, the 15 gb is more than enough for someone like Vern.  I doubt that he has much of a library of pictures. 

Well in that case, I'm sure your right. It would be good for him, unless he buys a new camera and becomes tech savvy. He could add a larger 64 GB SSD and be set for life.

Or, he could just buy like 5GB of storage after the first two initial years are up. Provided that he doesn't need more.

Ben

wds

I use my 15 gb from Google, 7 gb from microsoft, and 2 gb from dropbox.  All free.  Of course my computer has a large hard drive so I don't need to worry about storage, but it's nice to have some storage in the cloud so I can sync up files that I share between my several computers.  Of course I have all my telephone pictures and files on the cloud so I can use them at work...................
Dave

baldopeacock

Quote from: wds on November 12, 2013, 01:27:55 PM
Sounds like he's a perfect candidate for one of those new Chromebooks.  I bought one for my kid, and it's actually pretty nice.  Nothing more than a browser - turn it on and go.

I'd second that.   Got the Samsung Chromebook for my wife.   She loves it because it works every time and the boot time is - now.

HarrySmith

I think the major problem with Vern is he is not computer savvy and may even be intimidated by them. All this wireless, cloud, USB etc will definetly be too much for him. All he needs is a basic PC to go online and do email, maybe some pictures.
First:
Is there anybody near Vern who would be willing to go to his house, walk him through getting set up and be his "IT guy"?

If the answer is No, all this discussion is moot.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Haf

A possible solution if nobody's near him is making a complete layman proof pictured setup manual like the IKEA ones :)

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Jim Stettler

I think Vern is afraid of getting sucked into the internet. (How many times have you wasted an entire evening because you watched 1 youtube video, and then 1 more...?)
The best computer for him is one of the senior citizen types that have very limited capability. He likes dial-up because he doesn't have cable or dsl (and doesn't want them). 

The easiest way to get Vern back online is to locate a dial-up provider in SLC, after that, it is just a matter of convincing him to get a used computer.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

WesternElectricBen

I wish I kept my old mac, so simple, and would be great for what he needs. I think a G4 processor mac, with training, could be a perfect answer for him.

My computer confused Grandfather and Father have both tried Macs. My dad still works so obviously he has a work pc. Though, when my grandfather sat down on our family Mac, he got on the net, printed something out, and shut down in less than 15 min. Which might seem like a long time, but for him, it was amazing.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

*Clarification, he did not sit on our computer, he sat on a chair to use it*

Phonesrfun

Ben:

Did you know that if you make a mistake on a post, you as the original author, have the option of modifying it?

-Bill G

WesternElectricBen

Ah yes, I did know that. But I thought it had some comical value, so I left it.

Guess I was the only one who thought it was funny?

Ben

Phonesrfun

It was funny, I'll give you that. 
-Bill G

Contempra

No Ben, myself I laughed but I deleted my own message. :D............" sitting on our computer " this is not everyday .