News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

BK Precision 1045A

Started by oldguy, May 25, 2016, 07:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldguy

I just bought a  phone tester on eBay, tested ok. 59.95 + $11.95 shipping. Not the best price but I don't think it was too bad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-BK-PRECISION-model-1045A-TELEPHONE-PRODUCT-TESTER-Unit-tested-works/112007287870
Gary

Pourme

Good move, Gary....I've only had mine for a short time bit I can't imagine not having one now....
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

oldguy

Thanks Benny, can't wait until it is delivered, Another Christmas in a few days ;-)
Gary

DavePEI

Hi Gary:

You will like the BK. I have had mine for some years now, and it is one of my most used instruments.

I would suggest you make up a couple of adjunct aids for the use of it.

The first is a simple male to female jumper for the test jack. The purpose is so that the jack in the unit itself is spared - all the wear and tear will be on the jumper jack. That way, if you ever have to replace the jack, it will be the one on the short cord. Mine is about 6 inches long. I leave mine plugged into the 1045A all of the time. You could also do the same with a modular box, running the leads from the tip, ring and ground screws in it. I had a spare banjo, so that was the means I chose.

A second handy accessory is a 4 conductor banjo connector, with three clip leads soldered to it, red, green, and yellow for ground. Just connect it to your tester with a modular cord, and it is very simple then to test non-modular phones - just clip the leads to the appropriate spot. You can get banjos for a few dollars.

Prior to the 1045, I had a Realistic Tester, but I find the 1045 works every bit as well, with the added convenience of its much smaller size.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Pourme

Quote from: DavePEI on May 26, 2016, 06:45:48 AM
Hi Gary:

You will like the BK. I have had mine for some years now, and it is one of my most used instruments.

I would suggest you make up a couple of adjunct aids for the use of it.

The first is a simple male to female jumper for the test jack. The purpose is so that the jack in the unit itself is spared - all the wear and tear will be on the jumper jack. That way, if you ever have to replace the jack, it will be the one on the short cord. Mine is about 6 inches long. I leave mine plugged into the 1045A all of the time. You could also do the same with a modular box, running the leads from the tip, ring and ground screws in it. I had a spare banjo, so that was the means I chose.

A second handy accessory is a 4 conductor banjo connector, with three clip leads soldered to it, red, green, and yellow for ground. Just connect it to your tester with a modular cord, and it is very simple then to test non-modular phones - just clip the leads to the appropriate spot. You can get banjos for a few dollars.

Prior to the 1045, I had a Realistic Tester, but I find the 1045 works every bit as well, with the added convenience of its much smaller size.

Dave

Excellant suggestions, Dave. I made the lead with the test clips first day, but I didn't think about the excessive wear and tear on the unit's input jack. I will do that also.

Thanks!
Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

DavePEI

Quote from: Pourme on May 26, 2016, 07:04:33 AM
Excellant suggestions, Dave. I made the lead with the test clips first day, but I didn't think about the excessive wear and tear on the unit's input jack. I will do that also.

Thanks!
Benny

Yes, I'd sure rather change the pigtail than to have to find and install a new connector in the unit itself. When you think of it, they aren't designed for repetitive use, so the pigtail is a pretty good and cheap way to prevent future problems. The one I use is is a dollar store 20 foot extension cable which I have chopped off at about 6 inches, and crimped a new plug on. The rest I cut up into cords. Total cost, $1.49. for the pigtail and three cords! :)

Enjoy your 1045!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

oldguy

Thanks Dave, great ideas. Trying to find a jack for an older piece of equipment isn't always easy. You may have noticed I stated older, not old, since anything electronic is young compared to me :)
Gary

Jim Stettler

There is a "thick" modular wall plate. It has mod jacks in the side. It is sold as an extension jack.

Mine is 4 conductor and  has a jack on each side and a modular wall mount.

I plug 1 jack to the tester and I have a wall mount adaptor with a line jack.
Jim S..
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

oldguy

I'm not quite clear. A picture would be great & where to buy one but sounds like a good idea.
Gary

Jim Stettler

Couldn't find anything on amazon.

My first adapter was a modular cord to a wall phone plate. Later I added another jack to the wall plate wiring.

I used to have a wall plate mounted by my workbench as a convenient place to test the phone. It was in an easy install position. It had a mod cord for connecting to the tester.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found  the adapter plate at a yard sale. It was a radio shack product. It does the same thing as my set up did.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

oldguy

Gary

oldguy

I got my new toy this week, it works great. I put it on a shelf in my work are. I haven't made any cables for it yet.
Gary