News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

custom 66 blocks

Started by Babybearjs, September 13, 2017, 03:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

this past weekend when I decided to revamp my wiring, I took my 66 blocks and took the backs off of them and removed certain positions. thus I customized my blocks. has anyone else ever done this? enclosed are 2 pictures of that they look like now.
John

AE_Collector

I do recall opening a couple of blocks up once to do some customization for some special project I was playing with. But I think my customization was mixing what I call 25 pair pins with 50 pair pins. IE: split terminals and full with terminals in the same block.

To clearly identify where smaller cables started and ended on a block I was always a BIG user of black sharpie pens on the fanning strips of 66 blocks.

Terry

Babybearjs

yeh, I have some colored sharpies and had some of these blocks marked.... took some WD-40 and cleaned them off... went from marking the plastic to using colored cables.... its easier.....
John

Victor Laszlo

It's your equipment, and your creation, so I hope you will accept some constructive criticism from a guy who has worked on this stuff professionally and as a hobby for over 55 years:

I have no idea why you would do such a thing. If you plan not to use a particular pin, or pair of pins, just don't use them. What if you subsequently need to use them?  There is no BSP application that requires this modification.

Now, when you count down the pins, you will need to remember what number is missing, to be able to count accurately.

By removing just one row, you have violated the pair concept, which is the "prime directive" in telephony.  Are you aware of the fact that there is a spacing differential between the pairs of rows, to allow for the reduction of NEXT and other inductive/capacitive interference?

There are several reasons to modify blocks, such as creating specialized intercom arrangements for packaged intercoms, such as the Melco and Teltone units.  There also is a way to create multiple diode ringing blocks using far less real estate that is required by the stock diode blocks.  This is done by using the pins from an M series block in the base of a B series block. But these are legitimate field conversions, and do not involve the total removal of rows of pins.

Babybearjs

for me, its just easier. the blocks originally were designed for 25 pair cable. I'm using Cat 5 cable. I have my system color coded in Blue, orange, Green, and Brown. all my phone jacks are keystone jacks and match my color scheme. by customizing the 66 blocks, it makes it easier to trace and trouble shoot. I'm no telco pro, but I do like things different.....
John

19and41

I work in a firm that uses these blocks at every location we operate (a city sized installation) and in many places it is reinventing the wheel to identify specific pairs.  I have come into an area where the blocks were hanging in the middle of the room on a hank of multi pair cable.  If I were setting things up for myself, I would do so in a way to make it as easy as possible to work with.  It looks like that is what you are accomplishing.  It's your phone system.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Doug Rose

Being an old phoneman, I started cutting down 25 pair cables on 66 blocks. Never used bridge clips, one 25 pair cable on the right, one one the left. Space did not allow bridgies.

Consistency was a key.  Make it so the next guy coming in back of you could easily see the lay of the land. X out a bad pairs with sharpies and label your risers. I never heard of a custom block. It was hard enough to find a clean pair from the underground to your risers termination.

Why run backwards you vomit.  Phonemans code. I agree with Victor, maybe a kinder and gentler Victor, but I get his point. Passion! if you have never done it, you have no clue. Consistency is key.

Just my two cents. Hands felt wonderful after a day punching cables ....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Consistency is key.  Be Consistent with the install. As long as the service tech (you/owner) understands or can learn the system, nothing is a problem.

When you design your own system, you understand your own system.
I like to over use patch panels.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.