News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"A british design classic", errrrm, no.........

Started by twocvbloke, July 19, 2012, 08:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

At least it's not claiming to be a GPO 782 though... :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160812458911
( dead link 01-12-22 )

(I don't think a picture of a set of three generic 2500 phones in Red, Beige and Black is needed!!)

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

dsk

Well if you ignore the Boston tea party, and some other small events, it could have been British ;)

dsk

twocvbloke

Quote from: d_s_k on July 20, 2012, 01:34:46 PM
Well if you ignore the Boston tea party, and some other small events, it could have been British ;)

dsk

You know, someone mentioned that to me the other day and I didn't have a clue what they were on about, seems the british education system likes to omit that from history classes, I wonder why....... :D

Not had a response from the seller yet after I said they were a bit on the wrong side and pointing them in the direction of PaulF's website on the 2500 series, presumably they like being sued for false advertising... ;D

(not that anyone does when it comes to ebay!!)

McHeath

Ah yes, the 2500 phone designed, and this is a little known fact, by the General Post Office in 1938 in a secret lab in Cardiff.   ;) Clearly a classic ornate phone of the early 20th century, as the seller notes.  We should all have one. 

gpo706

Awww c'mon, there is obviously someone on the design team came from the UK, the guy who designed the grommet-thingy?
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

twocvbloke

I found some pictures on Amazon of these "british" phones, and the ringer assembly, er, yeah, it's even cheaper and nastier than Cortelco's own... :o

http://tinyurl.com/cybypu9
( dead link 01-12-22 )

I'm actually amazed they used a metal base stamped using the original(ish) WE500 pattern, I'd have expected a cheap flat metal plate akin to the ProtelX and Steepletone 500-style phones, or even a cheaper plastic base, though, I'm not sure why the thing has two sockets on the back, unless somehow it has two line capabilities...  ???

Pics nabbed from the link above: